Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.

I have a Creda symplicity condensor dryer that is about eight

I have a Creda symplicity condensor dryer that is about eight years old. It's causing my electricity throughout the house to shut down. Is this a simple problem to do with something like a fuse or something more serious?

Thanks!
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Sorry for the delay in replying, it seems that no one else has picked up this question. I only just came on line and saw your question. Are you still looking for help with this?

Please don't rate my answer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just use the reply button to contact me.

This could be an earthing problem.
When it trips the fuse box, does it take just one fuse out?

Would you like an all inclusive quote for this repair? If so, please let me have your post code and the model number

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It turns off all the electricity not just one fuse. And I've had it for eight years and it's not happened before so don't see why there should suddenly be an earthing problem.

Wouldn't like an inclusive quote because I don't think you yet know what the problem is.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roberta

I suspect that its just flipping the RCD, this is the earthing.
If it was tripping the fuse, it would trip out just one circuit, probably the kitchen, but the rest of the house would still stay on.

This is why I am thinking it may be an earth fault.

To start diagnosing this yourself you will have to start by taking the cover off the dryer and have, and know how to use, a multimeter.

Let me know when you are ready

Can you also tell me, does it trip as soon as you turn it on, or does it run for a while first?

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It trips as soon as I press the start button.

No idea what a multimeter is or how to use one.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roberta

Thanks

Unfortunately, without a meter you are not going to be able to test this, to find out what is wrong with it.

I am not going to be able to diagnose this without some parts being tested by yourself, sorry.

Without the tools to test this, you will need to have a hands on diagnosis of this to be able to find out what is actually wrong with it.

If you need more help, please just ask me

Thanks
Rob
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If it's the problem that you suspect how much would it cost to fix? I think I'm probably better off just buying a new one, considering that the old one is eight years old and something else might well go wrong with it.

Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.
Hi Roberta

Unfortunately, without knowing what the exact problem is with the dryer, its impossible for me to give you a price.

What I can tell you is that, if you are unable to diagnose this and fix it yourself, it would need someone to come to your home and do the work for you.

Depending on where you live, I would say that it would cost around £50 for someone to come and diagnose this. Parts, if needed would then be on top .

One company is offering a fixed price repair, as previously mentioned. This would be including call out, labour, parts and vat. This is in the region of £125

A condenser tumble dryer is an expensive item to replace. If its possible, a vented dryer is a cheaper option. If a vented dryer is possible, then I would agree with you, a replacement is probably the better option.

Sorry its not great news.
If you need more help, please just ask me.
In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Thanks
Rob

Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.