Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC
10522817

I have a double door Maytag fridge freezer with an ice dispenser

I have a double door Maytag fridge freezer with an ice dispenser which jammed, I took out the ice holding tray which contained the ice and the cam that ejects the ice and found that the `butterfly` that fits into the cam or auger was jammed and forced it, it then became loose and apparantly disconnected . The motor still works. I then removed the housing that contains the motor and the butterfly and subsequently the motor leaving a metal rectangular box which I cannot remove because it is connected through the plastic housing to the butterfly so that I can order some parts and replace them myself . How can I dismantle the two sections, I have tried gripping the axel of the butterfly and trying to unscrew it but without success, help !
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell me which part you are referring to on this diagram ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to separate number 9 from number 8 as the fault I think is the box number 8

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay you want to take the fork off the auger motor assembly. does the fork spin freely from the motor ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes it does

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay. this can be a real pain because its stripped, these forks screw on counterclockwise so you would need to get something behind the fork and force it out until it catches the thread on the auger motor and then turn it counter clockwise to remove. this is called the auger drive. this can be tough to get off because theres not much room to get at it. most likely its the fork thats stripped. heres a link to order it. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Auger-Drive/630522/670268?modelNumber=GS2124SEDW?RCAID=1000065
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No, it is not stripped as when I turn the the fork by hand I can see on the other side of the box the axel turning so the fault must be the mechanism between them both, are you telling me that the way to remove the fork is to grip it's axel or stork with pliers and then turn it anti clockwise ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes, If the motor turns with the fork the motor (which is geared) is the issue. the part number for the auger motor assembly is . 12001776 and yes you would need to remove this anti clockwise .and yes you need to hold the shaft so you can remove the fork.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, I will try to remove it but it may take some time but I will be sure to get back to you when I have achieved this, so far with pointed pliers I have been unsuccessful, the motor was working but it is the box between the motor and the fork which seems to be where the fault is.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
I understand, the motor and gearbox for that is one piece so the part number I gave you will come all assembled and you just install it and put the fork on the new shaft assembly.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: EPA Certified HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm still trying to get the fork separated , I have taken it to a garage next to me and they are unable to free the fork, any ideas about how to grip the shaft or to separate the assembly ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
to be honest this is a difficult thing to do. I've actually have had to cut them off more than once. see if they can cut the shaft with a grinding wheel. leave enough to grip the shaft to get the fork off after, this is a pain , sorry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have an angle grinder so should be able to cut off the shaft, do I have to order the motor and gearbox together because they only come as a unit even though the motor is still working, also perhaps I should order the fork as well do you think ?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
they are sold together and not separate. as far as the fork goes if you can get it off with stripping it that would be fine. if not you will need to order that also. I gave you a link above to order it if needed.