Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC

I ahve a Bosch Exccel Dishwasher The wash cycle stops mid

Customer Question

I ahve a Bosch Exccel Dishwasher
The wash cycle stops mid run on different settings some of the time, but not always. The timer on the front just stops though it carries on trying to complete the cycle (ie gentle wurring noises). It appears to be cutting out after a while (overheating? though no burning or electrical smells) and then re-starting in an attempt to complete the cycle. I had assumed that the pump was jammed but I've checked it when accessed from below the filters and the pump blades seem to be moving freely and is certainly workling at times. The water in the sump seems to disappear at least.
Any clues as what I might be able to check or do. Thanks
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. does this just keep running and running ? sounds like a pump running constantly ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Basically yes...

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay this means the machine is stuck in flood mode. this can be a pain. you need to pull the machine out from under the counter and tip it over on its left side (when looking from the front) not all the way over just enough to get the water in the base pane to drain out. put a towel under it to soak it up. once the water is completely out the float will reset and this will run fine again.
Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: EPA Certified HVAC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My first attempts at looking at this dishwasher meant that I tipped it on its side in order to try and work out how to get in and no water came out at all. Does that mean it is not flooded? I can't remember which way I tipped it though.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

oh, okay well try this, pour about 1 and 1/2 gallons of real hot water into the machine by hand and start it. see if it runs all the way through the cycle. the flood float may be stuck even though you didn't see any water come out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I'll give this a go later tonight and get back to you tomorrow. Is that OK? I'm at work presently.

Can i see the float if I remove the top and side panels? I have a bosch parts diagram. If I understand it correctly the float that might be stuck is part number 26 3097?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
yes you can see the float.its Styrofoam and its near the middle front of the machine. try the water trick and see if it works. I'll be around just leave a reply. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bryan,

I tipped the dishwasher onto left side to drain water out and then filled it with a gallon of hot water as suggested. I then ran a cycle. It still got stuck half way through but seemed to re-engage when i gave the machine a sharp nudge. It did this again when I subsequently tried a rinse cycle where it got stuck on the final minute until nudged again.

What next? What is the nudging triggering? The float?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am trying to continue the conversation we began yesterday about the Bosch
Exxcel dishwasher. I filled it with a gallon of hot water and it eventually
completed a cycle but not before it seemed to stick at one point in the
cycle only to be triggered off by a sharp nudge when I picked the machine up
and dropped it back down again!! I tried it again on a quick cycle and
the same thing happened. Nudging sharply seems to get it going again? Any
ideas? I also tried leaning over onto the left side. Some water drained
out.but not a dramatic amount.

Regards

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay it seems your float is sticking. I would replace the float assembly, that should take care of the issue, Sorry I was off line for personal reasons yesterday
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thought so.

Can you give me the part reference numbers (just to be sure) and I assume you think replacing it is diyable? Do you have any advice as to where I can get the part from?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Do you have the model number of the machine ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'll check. I am at work again and so will need to get abck to you tomorrow if that is OK

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Another thought....how can you identify the model. I know I looked hard for a specific number or model when I started research about the dishwasher but could not see anything? Is there a particular place to look or check? I know that the door says nothing.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
check on the right side of the door itself near the top. there should be a tag.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've left the dishwasher reference at home today and so may not be able to get back to you until after the weekend when I get back to the office in order to help identify the required 'float' part number. Hope that's OK.

Last night we ran a wash cycle and it stopped several times at random points in the cycle. A judicious kick to the side of the dishwasher seemed to either trigger it to carry on or the clock would re-set by 10-15 mins. The cycle never fully completed.

Does that still sound like the float jamming?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well you may want to check the control board for a loose connection, it may have a loose wire of plug.its hard for me to say to be honest.I would check those things also. Bryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks

I'll check the control board too in that case. Can you explain how it is accessed?

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
its inside the door. take the screws out around the inside and lift the panel up.at least thats how its done on most Bosch's.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I looked at the electrics behind the door panel as yuo suggested and could find no loose connections. Pulled and replaced all accessible cables and re-assembled. I've run a couple of rinse cycles since and it seems to work!!! No difinitive reason why? I will run some full wash cycles today to see what happens.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
well let me know what happens when you do different cycles, it may have been a computer glitch in the control,hope so. thanks and best wishes, Bryan