Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC
10522817

We have an american style fridge freezer and the fridge has

We have an american style fridge freezer and the fridge has stopped cooling. The freezer seems to be working fine. The machine is about 8 years old. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Good morning, is there frost back on the wall inside the freezer section ? is the fan running now ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I haven't noticed any. I am not actually at home at the moment so I can't see it.

okay, when you get back please check that. also make sure the fan is still running. I think you have a defrost issue, (common problem) when you get home check that and send me a model number and I'll show you what part goes on these.thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok - will do.

Thanks

okay talk then, thanks Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

I am now at home and the model number is XXXXX

We don't think the fan is working although the fridge does have some coldness about it, maybe in the slightly colder tray.

okay can you remove the back panel inside the freezer behind the food and take a look at the coils ? are they frosted and if so enough to stop the fan ? what make is this refrigerator? samsung,frigidaire, or Maytag ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

It's a samsung. Do you mean the freezer fan as the freezer is working?

yes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

I haven't managed to get the back panel off but I can see now that there is ice on the back wall in places and when I look at the vents, unless I'm imagining it, it appears to be pretty solid in there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you have any thoughts about the problem as I haven't heard from you since my last reply?

Thanks

June

I'm sorry June. I was off line , this has a defrost issue, what you need to do is defrost the coils with a hair dryer, this will fix it temporarily until you receive this part.Sensor DA32-00006W Main Product Viewits the defrost thermostat. heres the part number. DA32-00006W this is in the freezer on the coils. this tells the heater to come on and defrost the coils. sorry for the late reply. put the back panel back in when you done defrosting this so it will run correctly until the part arrives. thanks , Bryan
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Bryan

I have now defrosted the freezer with a hairdryer having taken off the back panel. The freezer is now cooling down but unfortunately the fridge is stubbornly warm. Could it be another problem?

Thanks

June

is the fan running in the freezer ? these can take up to 24 hours to stabilize temp. you put the back panel inside the freezer back in correct ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like the fan is working and back panel is in place with all screws firmly done up. The freezer temp is gradually dropping but not the fridge ...

can you feel any air comming into the refrigerator section up in the vent top left corner ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do you mean inside the fridge? If so, no air coming in.

yes, typically theres an issue with the damper when your not getting airflow . make sure theres no frost in the damper which is the part the air comes through. I cant find the diagrams for this unit to show you unfortunately.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Not sure exactly where you mean? Are we getting to the point where I will need to get someone in to look at it?

well I would give it 24 hours and if it doesn't cool correctly by then you may need a tech.I've done as much as possible on line unfortunately. sorry. let me know tomorrow. thanks , Bryan