Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC
10522817

Hi I have a Hotpoint First Edition dish washer. The dial stops

Hi I have a Hotpoint First Edition dish washer. The dial stops moving around at about 4 0/clock. If I move it around manualy to say 6 o/clock it will carry on with the program but will not warm the heating elements.
If it is the timer worn are these still obtainable.
Thank in advance Clive Powell
the reason this stops is the heating element isn't comming on to heat the water, theres a sensor that tell the machine to continue once the water reaches a certain temp. can you get me the model number ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

cant find it on the front or the door. If i have to take it out will be sometime before I can let you know, due to floor coverings ect.

okay , if you can test the heater. use a volt meter to test continuity with at least one wire removed. the heater should have continuity. if not replace the heater.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks will try that I should be about to change it without removing the unit. Thanks Clive

okay Clive,thanks and have a great day !
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan , thanks im having a great day, Just took heater out put 240 volt's though it and its geting nice and warm[hot).

Not getting 240 from supply, what next thermostate?

yes . can you check continuity of the in line thermostat ? it is mounted on the bottom of the tub I believe on that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Afraid there is 2 1 at the front and 1 on the right 1/2 way down the element and now is the time for my muti-meter to start playing up. Took the 1st one out and its not got a reliable readind between hot and cold water. What should they be in terms of ohms ?

Cheers clive

the one connected in line to the element should read infinite. not sure on the exact ohms. cant pull up the specs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Bryan well i cant get a real reading on either of them, just checked my meter on a spare car temp sender and i get a full scale reading from cold to boiling water. Its an auto ranging meter and the decimal stop always fools me. Anyway cant get a reading from either one.

Whats the chances of both going together, should i get 2 or by pass them so it gets hot enought to make sure the timer is working ok.

I cant see why there is 2 of the same unit' 18" apart and i cant get a good reading on either of them.

Have a good day cheers Clive

thats what I would do. unfortunately I cant bring up your parts from here. I would replace them and see if that takes care of the issue.