Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC

My frig/freezer has just started making this noise: Any

My frig/freezer has just started making this noise:
Any idea what might be the problem?
is the noise comming from inside the freezer ? if you open the freezer does it stop ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, the noise does not sound like it comes from inside the freezer. It sounds like it comes from the back/bottom of the appliance, probably where the compressor is. And no, the noise does not stop when I open either the freezer or frig doors.

okay , it sounds like it may be the condenser fan. pull the refrigerator away from the wall and remove the cover over the compressor area and check the condenser fan next to the compressor, you may have a piece of paper or something hitting the fan. let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't see a fan at all. This is a picture of the back where the noise seems to be coming from:

The big black thing in the middle, which I assume is the compressor (and happens to be very hot), is where the noise seems to be coming from, but there is no 'fan' that I see.

Okay perfect, the picture helps a lot. this refrigerator doesn't have an evaporator fan. (some don't) the (black ball) is the compressor. if the noise is comming from that its not good. the compressor is on its way out and will fail in the near future, how old is this refrigerator ? the compressors are warrantied for 5 years in most cases. is this older than that ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's about 8.5 years so probably well out of warranty. Here is a recording of the noise again (; at about 15 seconds into the recording I switch off the power at the wall and you can here something spinning down. I assume that that is the motor inside the compressor coming to a stop. Correct?

yes thats correct, the problem is the compressor is a sealed unit and cant be repaired only replaced.sorry for the bad news. thanks, Bryan