Bryan, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  EPA Certified HVAC

We have a Hotpoint fridge freezer - RF187BG 11 2CF Product

We have a Hotpoint fridge freezer - RF187BG 11 2CF Product code 809395. Two days ago it made an unusual vibration sound but disappeared overnight. Now makes normal buzzing sound. However it has defrosted itself and will no longer cool or freeze when the dil is moved towards maximum. can you advise please.
is the buzzing comming from the back near the compressor ? can you pull it away from the wall and remove the cover over the compressor and feel the compressor ?is it warm,hot or cold ? is it vibrating (running ) ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The buzz is coming from the black compressor at the rear. It is extremely hot.

okay, this means the compressor relay has failed and needs to be replaced.does this buzzing happen about every 3-5 minutes or is it steady ? also is the fan in the back next to the compressor running ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The buzzing is steady, I cannot see or detect a fan working. The black radiator grid on the back is cold

OK, got it. so it seems the compressor is running ? can you feel it vibrate ? I cant bring up your model. how old is this ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry Bryan, cannot really feel any vibration. The model is just over three years old having been purchased on 26/06/09.

Okay thats good that its under 5 years old. Hotpoint usually covers compressor issue for 5 years, this is most likely under warranty, it sounds like either the compressor itself has failed or the start relay on the compressor has failed, I would recommend calling to see if the warranty covers the repair before going further, if it doesn't I would replace the relay assembly and see if that takes care of the issue, hope this info helps, best wishes and thanks, Bryan