Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

i have a mistral plus free standing fridge freezer, which i

i have a mistral plus free standing fridge freezer, which i have bought second hand. The freezer sounds like a jet engine. i do not know what the settings should be at.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, Can we have the complete model number please? You could find it in a sticker inside the wall. Now, does it sounds like a propeller hitting something?

Customer:

it was bought second hand, there is no sticker. the guy who we bought it off said there was no sound when he had it. it sounds as though it is struggling to start up.

Customer:

i need to know what settings the freezer should be on

Drcool :

Hello, It does not matter where you set it, the sound would still be there. Something went wrong with the unit or something could have moved during transit. We have to established where the sound is coming from and what kind of sound was it. You said it is sounding like it is struggling to start. Do you hear the sound and after 10 seconds, then the sound would dis appear? and then comes back again after about 1 minute? or the sound is continuous and you said before, it sounded like a jet engine? really loud and continuous?

Customer:

the sound is coming from inside the freezer it is loud and continuous.

Drcool :

Thank you for that info. With out the model number, I can not tell if your unit is frost less or not so please bear with me if I would have to ask you more questions.

Drcool :

Is the unit still cooling even with the loud sound? Do you notice air vents inside the freezer or do you see shelves frosting up? Does the noise sounds like a fan blade hitting something? you know...wrrrrr...like kind of noise? Those are the noises that We might hear inside the freezer.

Customer:

It is a frost free model. the unit is still cooling. It is a wrr noise. There is an air vent inside. It does not sound like a fan blade hitting something. we have had plenty of freezers over the years but none sounded as noisy as this.

Drcool :

Hello, Thank you for those info. So it is a frost free unit and I am sure the noise is coming from the fan. It may not sound like a fan blade hitting something but definitely the noise would only come from the fan motor. What you can do is remove all the food, and unplug the unit. Remove the inside back wall of the freezer. This will exposed the fan motor and you can see what could be the source of the noise. If it is the fan motor itself, then it might just need lubrication. If the blade is hitting something( could be ice ), then thaw the ice or remove what ever it is hitting it.

Customer:

My husband is going to do as you suggest and I will get back to you.

Drcool :

Ok. Hopefully, he could find what ever is causing the noise. Thank you and will be waiting for the result.

Customer:

I have had a refrigeration engineer to look at my appliance, he has taken it to

Customer:

bits and we still do not know what the noice is

Drcool :

oh. It is not the fan? Did he lubricated it?

Customer:

No, he said there was nothing wrong with the fan, it was working ok.

Drcool :

Well, While the fan is already accessible, he should have just lubricated it. That is the only moving part inside the freezer so that would be the most likely source of noise plus the description of the noise as wrrr.....sounds like a fan motor. Any way, I can not think of other source of noise in the freezer except the refrigerant as it boils inside the evaporator coil tube which could be a hissing sound or a boiling sound which is different from the wrrr....sound that you hear. But, if it so happen that the refrigerant would be the suspect source of noise, what your husband or your engineer could do is disconnect the compressor from the starting component of the compressor. This would stop the compressor from running as well as the refrigerant flowing to the evaporator coil. Now, if the noise would disappear, then it is coming from the refrigerant flow but if not, then it is not the refrigerant flow. Again, it could still be the fan.

Drcool :

Hello, before your husband would do something with the compressor, please unplug the unit first so that he won't get shock.

Customer:

The engineer is a friend of a friend and am not going to ask him again. My husband will not touch it in case he makes things worse. The noise stops now for about 10 minutes then starts again. I think I am going to have to live with the noise and get used to it. It is only a temporary fridge/freezer because later on in the year I am having a new kitchen and we may not keep it anyway, that is the reason we only bought a second hand one.

Customer:

Thank you for all your help. Elaine

Drcool :

Hello Elaine, If the noise comes and goes, then it is sounding now that it could be the refrigerant flow that makes the noise. This could be stopping when ever the unit reaches temperature and would stop the compressor from running and would stop refrigerant flow.

Drcool :

Anyway, as you have explained, this is just a temporary unit so you can live with it for the mean time. Thank you for using this service.

Drcool :

You are very much welcome. Come back again anytime if you still have any questions.

Customer:

So if it is what you suggest this time is there something else we can or have we done everything already.

Drcool :

Hello again Mrs Elaine, if it is refrigerant flow, there is nothing you can do about it. It is inside the piping. But what you can do to minimize it is to set the thermostat to a minimum with out affecting the food preservation hence, the compressor would run to the minimum and would minimize the noise. You could have not observe it longer that is why you told that there is no difference between minimum setting and maximum setting on the controller. But now, it would stop often as before if it was set to the minimum.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.