Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

We have a Zanussi frost free fridge freezer. Recently water

We have a Zanussi frost free fridge freezer. Recently water has started leaking onto the floor of the freezer and freezing, so that it has to be chipped off. Also, the freezer doesn't seem to be working as efficiently as before, i.e. it seems to take food long to freeze. We must have had this appliance for 12 years. Is it worth repairing?

Drcool :

Hello, This is sounding like a blocked drain hole in the evaporator drain pan.Now, do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall?

Customer:

The freezer back wall is totally free of frost. There is just frozen water at the bottom of the freezer. Do you still think it could be a blocked drain hole? If so, is there an easy way for us to clear it?

Drcool :

Hello, Thank you for the info. Yes, it could still be a blocked drain hole. To clear it, I can not tell if it could be an easy job for you, but if you are mechanically inclined, you can try to remove the inside back wall of the freezer. It is secured by screws. his would exposed the evaporator coil. Tell me also the status of the evaporator coil as you open it up if it is fully frosted, half frosted or just a thin layer of frost all over it.

Drcool :

Then at the bottom of this evaporator coil is the drain pan. At the center of this drain pan would be a hole where water should flow out of the freezer. Please check this hole, it could be blocked with ice. You can slowly pour hot water on the hole to un blocked it.

Customer:

Thanks. My brother is visiting on Friday so we will try this and I will let you know if we succeed.

Drcool :

Ok. Hopefully, your brother could sort it out. Will wait for the result then. Thank you.

Customer:

Problem solved! The drain hole was blocked and a big chunk of ice had accumulated. Have cleared the blockage so hopefully everything will be okay now. Thanks for your help.