Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

I have an Amana fridge freezer about 16 years old. It appears

I have an Amana fridge freezer about 16 years old. It appears to be turning off and defrosting every few days. If I leave for a few hours it comes back on . Is this a fault with the defrost cycle ? Can it be rectified without service intervention.?

Drcool :

Hello, If you are sure that the fans inside the unit are working when the compressor shuts down, then it is not a good sign. If it is in defrosting mode, the compressor would stop as well as the inside fan. I am assuming that the compressor is shutting down even though it is not in the defrost cycle. it could be overheating.

Drcool :

If you could pull the unit away from the wall, and remove the back panel, would you notice a fan there and is it running if the compressor is running as well?

Drcool :

One cause of compressor over heating is, if the condenser fan stops running. Or , if the condenser coil is clogged with dirty and dust. If you can give me the complete model number, I might be able to say where the condenser coil is.

Drcool :

hello, you can reply by typing on the lower box and hit reply. Thanks.

Customer:

sxd 520s w

Customer:

SXD520S W. P1182402WW

Drcool :

Thank you for the model number. Is the unit running fine now?

Customer:

at moment yes but turned on again about 1 hour ago after leaving for couple of hours

Drcool :

That is what I suspected. The compressor over heating. Is this a side by side?

Customer:

yes

Drcool :

Can you please feel the dividing wall between the fridge and freezer if it is somewhat hotter than usual?

Customer:

no I don't think so -feels pretty cool

Drcool :

Thank you. Do you have a grill in front that you can remove so that you can see if the front of the condenser coil is covered with dust and dirt?

Customer:

yes but vacuumed this last night after removing grill

Drcool :

was it clogged before with dirt?

Customer:

i cleared it a few months ago when it was did not see much last night

Drcool :

thank you for those info. have you pulled the unit away from the wall and were you able to remove the back panel and inspect that side if the fan there is running ?

Customer:

no not yet

Drcool :

can you do it now?

Customer:

ok but may take abit of time

Drcool :

about 30 ,imutes?

Drcool :

minutes?

Customer:

ok can I see the fan easily?

Drcool :

after removing the panel. the fan should be there at the right side right away.

Customer:

ok will get back to you

Drcool :

will be here waiting.

Customer:

Presume you were talking about plastic panel at the base of the back side. Have had a go but it is secured by screw nuts which are too small for any of my spanners and cannot get a purchase with pliers pliers. There is warm air coming from vents on the left side of the base panel. I probably need to get a plumber friend of mine but not available now.

Drcool :

Ok.. Those could be torx screw. They look like allen wrench but actually a flower like allen keys. Anyway, take a look at the back there, the warm air that you feel is a good sign, it means the compressor is running right now. ( That explain that it is cooling at the moment). If it is no longer cooling, feel again the air that was coming out of the left vent and if it is not that warm, that means the compressor stops running. And that is what we need to know why.

Customer:

Ok should i get back to you when it stops again( Probably tomorrow!). Meanwhile should we try to get panel off and check on fan . I s there anything else I can do -could try to clean front with stiff brush for instance? Any ideas - or should i buy a new unit!

Drcool :

That is a good idea, get a stiff brush and remove all the dust as much as possible. There could be special brushes that you could buy to clean those coils as well. Ask your refrigeration supplier near your area. Just post what ever you find out tomorrow. Then I suggest do not run the unit with out installing back the panel. You can lubricate the fan motor if it seems to be a little slow rotating.

Drcool :

If I am off line, I will answer your inquiry as I log back in.

Customer:

Thanks for you help

Drcool :

If the compressor stops running and the fan is still running, try to feel the compressor if it is too hot( Be very careful, it could be too hot to handle ). Let me know how hot it is. Thanks.

Drcool :

You are verymuch welcome.

Customer:

Ok once we get the panel off will get back to you

Drcool :

BTW, if the compressor is too hot, you can put a damped rag on top of it to speed up cooling and it might run again after two hours. Continue to replace the damped rag on top of the compressor and this would tell us if it did over heated.