Mr Repair
Mr Repair, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 years experience

Ice building up in airflow tube in my kitchenaid built in model ksss42qkb01. The refriger

Ice building up in airflow tube in my kitchenaid built in model ksss42qkb01. The refrigerator and freezer gets warm and call service alarm goes off. This 1st occurred late Sept. 2012.
Have a look at the door seal.Make sure it is sealing properly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Looks good. Service guy also checked that and saw no issue.
Does the evap coil behind the inside back wall of the freezer ice up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It was iced up yesterday when tech removed the cover. I don't know how to get the cover off and can't tell. I have a home maintenance insurance policy that covers appliances but they aren't calling me back and also they've been out twice and fix hasn't lasted. Really frustrated and grasping at straws here. Also, per this maintenance policy if it appears I have tampered w/things policy may not cover. I'm mostly just trying to present conditions (systems)which they should check out.
When the tech found the coil iced did he replace any parts.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No parts are listed on his invoice.
If the coil was iced up this would indicate a problem with the defrost system also you would want to have the tech look for air getting into the fridge this would cause the vent to ice up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good. How to test to see if air getting into refrig?
You would need to your hand slowly around the closed door feeling for any cold air. if it checks fine have the defrost system tested.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do u think there is anything I can do to get it working until tech can get back out tomorrow?
Just keep the vent clear other then that there really is not much you can do sorry.