Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

We have a Hotpoint FFB6200AX Fridge Freezer, the temperature

We have a Hotpoint FFB6200AX Fridge Freezer, the temperature warning lights start flashing telling us the temp in the freezer is getting too high, it sounds as though it is labouring to blow the cool air, it appears that there is no circulation in the fridge compartment at all
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, Do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall? Do you hear a fan running inside the freezer?

Customer:

No frost, fan does not run when alarm lights are flashing. If I switch unit off and on again, lights stop and fan runs, but sounds laboured.

Drcool :

Ok, thank you for those info. If you go to the back part of the unit, once plug in, would you notice the compressor( black steel ball ) run? vibrate? or hot to touch? ( Be careful, it could be too hot to handle ).

Customer: Yes it does all the above. I put some ice cube bags in the freezer to test it and they have frozen. It seems as though the fan does not operate in the fridge, as I can feel cold air circulate in the freezer. Not sure if fans in fridge & freezer are separate? If they are, and there is a problem with fridge fan could that cause freezer fan to fail causing temperature to rise and alarm?
Drcool : Hello, Are you sure the fridge part is frost less also? Can you verify if there are air vents inside the fridge section. You could have the combination wherein the freezer is frost less and the fridge is frost type. Meaning you could see a slight frost on the back wall of the fridge section. Have you notice frost before when the unit is operating normally inside the fridge section?
Customer: There are air vents in the fridge (5 pair to be exact), but the fridge is not as cool as normal, in fact just had to dispose of milk. Freezer is working but does sound laboured as said before. No frost in fridge that I have ever noticed.
Drcool : Hello again, Thank you for those info. So you have a full frost less unit. And the air passage going to the fridge is somehow could be blocked with ice. What you can do is remove the back wall, inside the fridge which is the air distribution assembly. At the bottom part would be the passage way from the freezer that you would know what could be blocking it. In some unit , there would be an air damper assembly. Sometimes, this damper would stuck in the close position, hence, it would not let the cold air from the freezer to go to the fridge. One you remove the air distribution assembly, you would also know if it has a separate fan blower on the fridge or not.
Drcool : If it is ice that is blocking the air passage, then you just have to manually defrost the unit by unplugging it for 24 hours with both door open. Transfer first all the food that would spoil if you turn the unit off.
Customer:

Removed back wall panel, cold air is coming out vent, when I turned the rapid cool setting on the damper did not open, I can manually move it but it does not open on its own. If this is the problem would this cause the main fan to stop and cause the freezer to heat up?

Drcool :

Hello, I the damper is not opening up, it would not affect the fan and the freezer. The fan would only stop and the freezer would warm up when ever the freezer is defrosting. You could probably saw the freezer while it is in defrosting mode. But that would just be temporary. After 40 minutes, the fan would run and the freezer should start cooling back.

Drcool :

Your problem now is the damper. Why would it not move on its own. Try to leave it in the open position and observe if the fridge would now cool down.

Customer:

Damper is spring loaded, assumed that it only opens when the fridge requires to be cooled? i.e. when it get above set temperature it opens via thermostat?

Drcool :

Ok. Then it could be the thermostat that sends the signal to the damper, or the damper itself is defective. If you can remove the wires to the damper, let us say it has sockets, then put something that would hold the damper open and see if the fridge would cool down, this would verify that the freezer is working fine plus the unit itself has no problem regarding refrigerant or cooling system is concern. Then you can use it temporarily until parts arrive.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.