Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

Hi.i have a hotpoint fridge freezer ffa71 .the red high temp

Hi.i have a hotpoint fridge freezer ffa71 .the red high temp light has been on for a month or so but now the second red light is on.the food is still frozen but not fully the control dial doesn,t seem to make any diferance

Drcool :

Hello, Please remove all the drawers inside the freezer. Do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall? Do you notice a slight frost covering the fridge back wall?

Customer:

i am not at the fridge right now i will get back to it later thank you

Customer:

Hi no there is frost on back of fridge or freezer

Drcool :

Hello , I would assume there is NO frost on both freezer and fridge. If this is the case, then I would say you could have a very small leak in the sealed system. You could be loosing gas one month ago when the first warning light came on but you did not take care of it since the freezer is still functioning. It could just be the fridge which is starting to loose its cooling ability so you would not notice it right away.

Drcool :

After a month of slow leak, a lot of gas could have come out and now it started to take an effect on the freezer as well. The freezer is now no longer cooling very well because of lack of gas. This would explain the food getting thaw a little bit. And turning the thermostat would really not make any difference at all any more since it is no longer cooling.

Drcool :

But with this kind of problem, I am afraid it is not a DIY. If it is a gas problem, only professionals can handle the refrigerant. With out a license, you can not buy refrigerant gas, so you can not do it yourself. Please seek a professional and ask for quotations on how much it will cost because with this kind of problem, it is a little bit expensive to repair so some customers would just replace their unit.