Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.

Refrigirator temp at 14C and will not come down lower. The

Refrigirator temp at 14C and will not come down lower. The freezer is fine. Have defrosted to no avail. Any advice?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, May we have the complete model number please? Do you also notice any frost build up inside the freezer back wall? How long did you switched the unit off from the mains?

Customer:

Hi, the model is a samsung RSH1DTMH 524 litres american fridge freezer. It was turned off for about 4 hours while the interioir of the fridge (not freezer) was defrosted. Yes the base of the base of the back wall of the fridge where the vents are had frozen over stopping the water supply which is how we originally noticed teh problem.

Drcool :

Hello, Thank you for the model number. The evaporator coil of the fridge is frosting up. This is a common problem from Samsung. Usually, a complete defrost would solve the issue but it should be the proper way.

Drcool :

The proper way is to un plug the unit, remove the drawers at the fridge, remove the back wall lower portion where the fan and the vent assembly is located. Now, the evaporator coil is exposed, thaw all ice that will be found there and include the drain hole to be de-iced. Sometimes, this is just the problem, a clogged drain hole. You can pour some hot water to the hole to make sure that the hole is not clogged with ice and you should observe if water is coming out of the drain hose at the back of the unit.

Drcool :

Then while the evaporator coil is thawed, try to locate the temperature sensor of the evaporator coil. It has a pair of yellow wires, clipped at the back wall of the fridge. the end is like a capsule, sometimes white in color.

Drcool :

This is the thermistor or temperature sensor and usually, this is the culprit. But before you replace it, you must try the complete defrost first. After you have completely defrosted the unit and made sure that the drain hole is not clogged, assemble everything back and plug the unit. Observe if the problem would persist.

Drcool :

If the problem persist, then replace the thermistor.

Drcool :

It may look like this. Please click the blue word.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.