Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

Hi I have a delfield upright freezer that has a digital display

Hi I have a delfield upright freezer that has a digital display at the bottom.It was recently turned off and moved an dnow the display is flashing the temp then HI why is this..? I dont have a manual .Also where the seal meets the door is hot is this normal?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, How long was the unit plugged in? If you look at the back of the unit, do you notice the compressor vibrating? ( the black steel ball, be careful, it could be too hot to handle ) and is there a fan near the compressor? and if there is , is it running?

Customer:

fan inside freezer is running but not at temperature,no cold air .It sounds like it is running fine,quiet not shaking or noisy but it is not freezing anything....plugged in for 3 weeks.

Drcool :

Oh my. The display is flashing HI because the temperature inside is high. Since it has been plugged for 3 weeks already, then I would say you might have a gas problem. But, was it cooling fine before it was moved? And how long was the unit un plugged when it was moved?

Customer:

it was unplugged for a while we have bought it form someone......apparently it was fine before.how do we solve the problem.?

Drcool :

I would have to establish what could be wrong first before I could recommend what you can do. Please bear with me. Do you see a fan at the back of the unit, not inside the freezer, one near the compressor and if your unit has one, is it running?

Customer:

cant see a fan.at the bottom at the back you can see the compressor at the front behind the cover something is running.as it is pitting out some cold air

Drcool :

So you can feel cold air at the front of the unit? Front grill?

Customer:

yes fan is running.

Drcool :

so there is fan near the compressor and it is unning?

Drcool :

running?

Customer:

yes just had another look

Drcool :

ok. Thank you for that. I asked because you mentioned that "the seal meets the door is hot" is an indication of a fan not running but we have established that the condenser fan is running so we would rule that out. But the air that comes out of the condenser is cold as per your feeling is not a good sign. The air that is coming out of the condenser coil should be warm. Warm is an indication of a good charge of gas and cold is an indication of lack of gas. So now, I have two points telling me that you could have a lack of gas. Now, do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall? or ceiling inside the freezer?

Drcool :

Hello, Are you still here?

Customer:

yes sorry serving customers

Customer:

no frost...it isnt cold or any freezing

Drcool :

Ok, then I would say you could had a leak while the unit is being transported or there is really a leak on the evaporator coil and when the unit was unplugged, the refrigerant leaked out more because once the compressor stops running, the pressure would rise in the evaporator coil and the gas would escape more so at the time it wa plugged in again, a lot of gas has escaped and the unit would no longer cool down.

Customer:

ok......whats next

Drcool :

If it is really a gas problem, then I am afraid it is not a DIY. You would need to call an engineer to do the leak repair, then the charging of the right refrigerant and the commissioning of the unit. And it might cost you more that what you paid for it so If I may suggest , that if you can still return the unit, then might as well just return it from whom you have bought it. I am sorry if I can not solve your problem here.

Customer:

thanks for your help.

Drcool :

You are very much welcome. Thank you too for using this service.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.