Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

Hi there, I have a Hotpoint Mistral Plus 8496 Frost free

Hi there,
I have a Hotpoint 'Mistral Plus 8496' Frost free fridge freezer which appears to be working fine but the red light indicator is flashing permanently this past few days!'

In the past(a year or two ago) the red light has come on on a somewhat permanent basis and we discovered the light bulb wasn't going off when the door was shut. Bulb cover very warm so my husband taped up the 'lever' above the door as it appeared not to be being pushed in because the door wasn't 'high' enough to do so! THis did work! The tape kept coming off so he then took the light bulb out. This has been the case for some time and there hasn't been a problem until this week. Don't imagine both situations are related but I'm no technician!
Any advice please would be really appreciated.
Thank you :-)
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, Is the unit still working perfectly? Do you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall?

Drcool :

If the unit is working perfectly and there is no frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall, then I suggest that you try to defrost the unit by unplugging it for 24 hours with both doors open. You may want to transfer the food first to another unit so it won't spoil. Then after 24 hours, plug it back and observe if the red light would be gone after 12 hours from plugging it back.

Drcool :

If the unit is not cooling very well and you notice frost accumulating inside the freezer back wall, then the red light is an indication that the unit's temperature has risen above the working temperature required so it is natural for the red light to come on.

Customer:

This wasn't the solution after all! My husband checked the bulb which we 've had permanently turned off (as I'd explained) and the bulb was actually dead! he put in a new bulb (still with it 'switched off') and in the morning the red light indicator was off and not been on since! Wierd!.... We're now wondering that the bulb is part of the cooling /temp regulating circuit and with the bulb 'dead' the circuit wasn't complete........??? Anyway it now is running fine with no flashing lights! Problem easily solved in the end!

Customer:

This was not the solution after all!!

Customer:

This was

Customer:

This was not the solution after all! My husband had athink about it an the issue in the past with the door and the light bulb. He tested the light bulb and discovered the bulb was 'dead'. Replaced the bulb and fixed the leaver once again so the bulb would be permanently off as before. In the morning the red light indicator was no longer flashing and everything seems to be fine now! Not that the temperature ever did drop of course! .....Anyway problem appears to be solved....We're thinking the light bulb might actually be part of the temperature control circuit or something like that and with the bulb 'dead' the circuit was broken........??.....Not an expert in these matter, hence od course my request for help!

Drcool :

Hello, In your first post, you mentioned that your husband removed the bulb so the unit was working fine even with out a bulb for so many months and last week, the red light came on again. You asked for some advice and that was my advice. I was thinking what could trigger the red light to come on.It would only come on if the unit's temperature has risen above its normal working temperature. It could also be just a case of door being left ajar but it is hard to tell. SO now, by replacing the bulb or installing a new one back, the red light came off the next morning. See, if the bulb is part of the alarm circuit that turns on and off the red light , then as soon as you replace the bulb, the red light should have gone off because electrical circuits would happen at the moment of contact. I was thinking, after you have replaced the bulb, you could have closed the door tightly, the temperature inside the unit has been reached and the red light would come off.

Drcool :

Anyway, I am glad that your unit is running perfectly now and can I just ask a favor if you can change your rate for me. I was just explaining to you what could the probable cause why the red light is flashing. The negative rating greatly affects our over all standing in this site. Thank you very much for uisng this service.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.