Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

i own an american fridge we can still make ice but unable to

i own an american fridge we can still make ice but unable to get a glass of water ?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, Can we have the complete model number please? If you look at the front, remove if it has a front grill there, do you notice water pipe getting into the freezer door lower hinge?

Customer:

serial no410230165 yes i can see water pipe

Drcool :

Thank you for the serial number. Can you find the model number please?.. Usually, it would be a combination of numbers and letters. It could be on a sticker on either side wall inside the fridge side. Down the freezer door hinge, do you see a connector and if you did, can you disconnect the connector by pressing the collar ring and pulling the water pipe. Then Please get a bowl and try to catch what ever water would flow out of the pipe. Now, press the dispenser pad and observe how water would flow out of the water pipe.

Customer:

ke4xe136 disconnected the collar ring no water coming out from tube

Drcool :

Ok. Thank you for that info. Can you pull the unit off the wall until you can access the back part?

Customer:

ok disconnected back tube no water

Drcool :

Sorry, What tube did you disconnected? I have not asked you to disconnect any tube yet, just want you to hear if there is something clicking at the back if you would press the dispenser pad.

Customer:

ok will check

Customer:

i hear a ouiet dull sound

Drcool :

no clicking sound while some one press the dispenser pad at the front?

Customer:

no

Drcool :

ok. We have two scenario. Either you have a bad water inlet solenoid valve, or you could have a problem with the dispenser pad switch.

Customer:

could it be a problem with the filter it has not been changed lately could u please explain how i can get round the other 2 scenarios

Drcool :

If your icemaker is making ice, then it is not the water filter since the water that goes to the ice maker goes through the water filter as well. Do you have a meter to measure voltage? If you do and confident enough that you can measure the voltage on the coil, then I can guide you.

Customer:

sorry do not have one

Drcool :

If we can determine if there is presence of voltage on the solenoid valve while some one is pressing on the pad, then I would say you have a bad solenoid valve, but if there is no voltage, then I can say you have a bad dispenser switch.

Customer:

where can the solenoid be located

Drcool :

It should be at the back. If there is a back panel at the lower portion of the unit, remove that cover, then look underneath and try to locate a part where three tubes goes in it. One would be from the water filter, one would be to the chiller and one would be to the back of the freezer for the ice maker.

Customer:

ok found it

Drcool :

ok. One coil should be clicking when ever you press the pad at the front with a close door of course.

Customer:

no clicking if it is the pad can u tell me where to source it please

Drcool :

If it is the pad switch, it is still a little bit complicated. I was not able to find anything on the model number of your unit. The thing is, there is a micro switch on the door that is triggered as you press on the pad, now, on some models, this switch triggers an electronic board that would send the high voltage signal to the solenoid valve, hence the switch is not directly connected to the solenoid valve, and that makes it more complicated. You would need a resistance meter this time to measure the contact of the micro switch to determine if it is functioning or not. The pad switch is located inside the dispenser itself. If you slowly press the pad, would you hear a slight click or something?

Customer:

ok thanks for all your help

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.