Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.
11923974

I have a Hotpoint ffa 74g fridge freezer the derost was lit

I have a Hotpoint ffa 74g fridge freezer the derost was lit up and I pushed the small button to take it off but it's still not going cold but the compresser is working.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Best,

Gina
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi

yes I will wait please email me when you you sort it out for me thank you.Mr L M Hodges

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi

I have responded to you before and said I am willing to wait for you to get the answer but I would like it ASAP. Thank you Mark

Hello Mark

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.

Best,

Gina
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mark,

Sorry for the delay. The defrost indicator is a warning that the temperature inside the unit has gone up that the food inside are defrosting already.

You should check the food inside and cook what ever food that has defrosted already.

Then you can only remove the light by pressing the button if the unit has cooled down again. Meaning, if the unit has not cooled down again, pressing the button would not terminate the red light warning.

Please check the freezer if there is frost accumulation inside the freezer back wall.

Make sure the compressor at the back is running, vibrating and hot to touch. ( Be careful, it could be too hot to handle )

-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi,

There is no sign of the freezer or fridge cooling and the condencer at the back is not showing any heat even though the compresser is running. is there any mechanism that can keep the fridge on defrost perminantly or could it be the gas has escaped if so how do I check for lack of gas. Thanks Mark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I had no information other than ice building up at the back of the fan but I wanted to know not just that but if any of the electronics could stop the fridge freezer from working. I didnt get any answer regarding the obvious and this has not helped except costing me money. regards mark

Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.
Hello Mark,

TO check for lack of gas, you would have to remove the inside back wall of the freezer. This would expose the evaporator coil and would tell us how frosty it is while the compressor is running.

It would tell if it is fully frosted, then I can say you did not lack gas but could had a defrost issue.

But if the evaporator coil is just half frosted even though the compressor had run for almost 12 hours, then I can say you lack gas and you could had a leak in the sealed system.

Did you had ice build up at the back of the fan ?

-
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.