The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
12112589

Winchester Cannon gas cooker (possibly no. 103959): about

Winchester Cannon gas cooker (possibly no. 103959):

about 12 years old - perfect woking up to nw

Problem: when I turn on the oven, the pilot light comes on, but the flame does not boost to say Gas Mark 5. I have checked that the timer is not on. Husband thought that it may have happened due to changing the clocks last weekend, but we have turned the electricity off and 'rebooted' the clock.
Can this be repaired? Has the link between the cooker knob and the flame gone? Has the theremostat gone?

Please help - thank you,
Regards,
Helen

The Famous Forry :

Hi to you from David. In answer to your question, YES it can be repaired. Basically the control knob for your oven is faulty. When you turn on your oven, the pilot lights as normal but flame stays small, this is because the FSD as it is known (Flame Safety Device) has failed. To correct this fault you will have to have this replaced. The cost of the FSD is usually around £40 plus of course the fitting charge. A Gas Safe engineer is required to fit this for obvious safety reasons and you can expect to pay £50 - £85 for his services.Hope this helps with your decision. Just in case your probe has moved, if you look in the oven , you will see a probe, just above the pilot flame, ensure this is still in position, if not try repositioning and you may be in luck. Chance of this, 50- 50. Best of luck regards XXXXX XXXXX much appreciated.

Customer:

Many thanks - this mirrors the advice I found later on another website about cooker problems.

Good luck in your quest