The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
12112589

My Hotpoint WT940 washing machine door will not open. It finished

My Hotpoint WT940 washing machine door will not open. It finished its wash cycle and the 'door locked symbol' went out. The machine will turn off and back on but still no joy!
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 2 years ago.

The Famous Forry : Hi to you from David 'The Famous Forry'
The Famous Forry : has the machine emptied the water out ok. And also has it done a fast spin. This is important so answer carefully please. Thank you regards David.
Customer: Yes the machine has emptied (it has only a small load in and is clearly empty of water). I was away from the machine when it finished its cycle but it was set to a regularly used programme including spin cycle!
The Famous Forry : Please try spin only now to make sure it does fast spin and then try door 2 minutes after it comes to a stop.
Customer: Ok, have set the machine on a spin cycle. This is a 20 minute cycle so will let you know how it goes!
The Famous Forry : Thank you . I will check back soon
Customer: The spin has finished. I waited and the 'door locked' sign went out I even heard a slight click of the door mechanism at the same time however it still won't open!
The Famous Forry : Ok please try pushing the door firmly inwards using the palm of your hand. Push firmly in the area where the door latches in and hopefully this will release the mechanism
The Famous Forry : Sorry I was a while, I had an important call come through
Customer: Ok no probs! Givin it a go!
The Famous Forry : Staying with you to hear the outcome
Customer: Still not opening I'm afraid!!
The Famous Forry : ioutcomes understand it spun fast and water has emptied
The Famous Forry : The door interlock device has obviously jammed and often the firm push inwards as described earlier releases it. It may be worth trying again and then if no joy then the device has to be released internally , usually by an engineer. Unless of course you want to attempt it. I can talk you through it if you like.
Customer: Yes please David - talk me through it!
The Famous Forry : Ok, firstly you Must REMOVE PLUG AND ISOLATE COMPLETELY FROM THE ELECTRIC SUPPLY.NOT JUST SWITCH OFF BUT COMPLETEY REMOVE THE PLUG FROM THE WALL. CONFIRM TO ME YOU HAVE DONE THIS AND WE CAN MOVE ON.
The Famous Forry : Also, releasing the jammed lock is not easy and you can easily scratch,cut,injure your hand/arm, etc. you sure you still want to continue!
Customer: Plug is out and sitting on top of machine!
The Famous Forry : ok, remove lid
The Famous Forry : Releasing the door this way also damages the faulty lock further and so you will definitely need a replacement lock. Are you ok with this?
The Famous Forry : The locks are about £12-£15
Customer: Yes no problem with new lock, bit of a problem getting lid off, have undone 2 screws on rear edge of lid but how is the front attached?
The Famous Forry : 2 oval plastic bits on side, remove with thin blade knife, just flick off and then 2 hex socket screws to be removed
The Famous Forry : theremoved the lid then pushes back about an inch to remove. Often a good bash with the palm of yer hand does the trick
Customer: Oh yes simple now! What's next?
The Famous Forry : righttrick right you need to get year hand down to the back of the lock
The Famous Forry : thislock t
The Famous Forry : it's a tight squeeze and someone helping by pushing the drum back helps
The Famous Forry : if not try wedging it back with something to create a little more room to get yer hand down to the back of the lock. Can you see the lock. What colour is it?
Customer: Ok have wedged the drum back, the back of the lock is white.
The Famous Forry : try and bend lock in and out. Like trying to metal fatigue it, every now and then trying the door to see if it has released. Basically your trying to snap the lock. It's hard but keep at it or until the door opens. Let me know how your getting on. Got a few scratches I bet!
Customer: While looking inside and trying the door handle I noticed the very tip of the door catch moving, have forced this across with a screwdriver and the door has now opened!! No obvious damaged caused by me but on closing it again it won't open normally. Have opened it again as above, is the fault with door catch or inside?
Customer: Have noticed the very
Customer: Aah can see the problem now, part of the door catch mechanism is broken so when I pull the door handle the mechanism does not release the catch. Hopefully a simple replacement part!
The Famous Forry : Yes the door handle is in need of replacement.
The Famous Forry : be careful to note how you take this apart.
The Famous Forry : it is very tricky to some people
The Famous Forry : Krypton factor stuff.
The Famous Forry : beware
The Famous Forry : Yes
The Famous Forry : The part is cheap to replace which is a bonus
Customer: Good to hear that it's cheap! Will give me something to do on my day off tomorrow....ta very much for the help!
The Famous Forry : Door handle is available at £16. Will see if I can find cheaper anywhere else
The Famous Forry : Are you ok to get the handle or do you need me to get for you
The Famous Forry : 5031687910813 part number. Type into google and third one down is your handle
The Famous Forry : £12.99 inc vat
Customer: That's great I'll order it now - thanks again!!!
The Famous Forry : Your welcome . Please come back and use me again. REMEMBER, THEY ARE TRICKY, CAREFULLY WATCH HOW YOU DISMANTLE , WHICH WAY ROUND PIN IS FACING ETC ETC. YOU CAN EASILY MESS THIS UP. TAKE PICTURE WITH CAMERA TO LOOK AT HOW IT SHOULD ALL GO. GOOD LUCK REGARDS XXXXX XXXXX Famous Forry'
The Famous Forry : Bonuses greatly appreciated. Bye for now. Come back if you need anything.
Experience: I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980