Drcool
Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.

My Diplomat refrigerator, APP6302, is not cold although the

My Diplomat refrigerator, APP6302, is not cold although the motor is working and the light is on. Could it be the thermostat? If so, how do I fix it? I'd like to get someone to come out and mend it but can't find anyone.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, when you say the motor is working, is it the compressor at the back of the unit? The black steel ball? Is it vibrating? Hot to touch? ( be careful, it could be too hot to handle )

Customer:

I don't know because it's a built-in appliance so I can't access the back of it. However the back wall seems to get colder when the motor comes on - but not enough to make the fridge cold.

Drcool :

Ok. Is it the back wall inside the fridge you are referring to? That gets cold but does not frost?

Customer:

Yes.

Drcool :

Oh, This is not a good sign. Definitely, it is not the thermostat because if it is the thermostat, you can not feel that the motor is running plus the fact that the inside back wall tries to cool down but not frost up is an indication that the compressor is running. If this is your case, your problem is lack of refrigerant. If the unit is lacking refrigerant, the evaporator coil would not freeze anymore but rather just cold but not freezing, just like what you are experiencing right now.

Customer:

I've never heard of refrigerant - is this a substance of some sort? Is it fixable or shall I just go out and buy a replacement?

Drcool : a refrigerant is the gas that is inside the unit. It is the cooling medium that freezes when ever it passes through the evaporator coil. The evaporator coil is in the back of the inside wall of the fridge that is why when the coil freezes, the plastic back wall freezes as well and now it is not freezing because the unit lacks refrigerant. I am sure the repair would cost near the cost of a new unit so If I were you, I think it is time to replace the unit.
Customer:

Thank you for your advice, Dr Cool.

Drcool, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: i am an expert in the Home Appliance category in the US. been in the field for more than 12 years.