SparePartsPro
SparePartsPro, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Mech / Electrical Tech, Appliance Service Tech, PAT Test Eng

I have hotpoint Aquarius FDL570 dishwasher. It appears to take

Customer Question

I have hotpoint Aquarius FDL570 dishwasher. It appears to take in the water and heat it but will not wash. I have cleaned filters, emptied excess water in base, removed and cleaned the circulation pump but still not washing. What could problem be?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  SparePartsPro replied 1 year ago.

SparePartsPro :

Hello There - My name is XXXX XXX I am more than happy to help with your question today.

Can you hear the wash pump running when you start the wash cycle.
It may make a humming or buzzing noise.

Customer :

No the machine appears to be taking in water and then heating water but nothing else.The heating of water appears to hapen at intervals but nothing else. When I switch the machine off the water drains away, but no washing has happened.

SparePartsPro : If you have no noise coming from the wash pump then you need to have the wash pump motor checked for continuity using a multimeter. Do you own a multimeter.
Customer :

No I don't own a multimeter are there alternative ways of testing?

SparePartsPro :

I suppose you could do a visual check to see if the motor starts but if it doesn't then an electrical test is the only way forward.

Customer :

Is motor situated in same location as the circulation pump?

If I were to buy multimeter how much would it cost?

If wash pump motor needs replacing how much is that likely to cost?

SparePartsPro :

THe motor and pump is one assembly.
It is fitted below the sump towards the rear.
A multimeter can cost upwards of £20.
A wash pump upwards of £100.

Customer :

So I could spend circa £150 potentially if that is the fault. Do you think that this is probably the fault and if so is it worth persuing or should I just throw the towel in and buy a new machine?

SparePartsPro :

THe most common fault witth a wash pump is a capacitor failure.
This can be seen when a motor just hums when it's supposed to run.
If you take off the right side panel and run a wash cycle you should be able to hear the motor make a humming noise when it tries to start.
If you can't then it could be something more serious.
If you didn't want to spend the time to try find the fault your self you could get a quote for the work by booking a call online at www.repaircare.co.uk.
That way you would know the cost before hand.

Customer :

OK thanks, I will try your suggestion of taking off the right side pannel and run tomorrow and get back to you.

One thing that I didn't mention which maybe could effect something is that the time I ran the washer and the fault occured we had a slight power cut and I don't know if this could effect anything?

SparePartsPro :

Was the power cut a result of the washer going faulty.
If water has leaked into the base it could have shorted the motor out and caused the electric to trip.
If that is the case then the motor has probably failed.

Customer :

No I don't think so as we were having slight power interuptions only for couple seconds throughout the evening and also when I removed base plate earlier all looked pretty dry inside.

I suppose there is nothing for it than for another day trying to fiddle with appliance tomorrow and I will report back.

Thanks for help and patience so far!

SparePartsPro :

No problem just reply back when you are ready.

Customer :

I did as you suggested and took right hand pannel off and ran the machine and couldn't hear a humming, unles I am mistaking the humming for the water heating process?

Customer :

I did as you suggested and removed right hand side pannel and ran the machine but could not hear any humming, unless I am mistaking the humming noise as the water heating noise?

SparePartsPro :

Did the wash pump come on.

Customer :

Yes the machine takes in water, is that the wash pump coming on?

SparePartsPro :

No.
In your opening question you say the dishwasher is not washing.

SparePartsPro :

Can you tell me what is the problem you are having with the dishwasher.

Customer :

It doesn't wash just takes in water and heats it but wash cycle doesn't start and I don't believe there is any humming noise.

SparePartsPro :

So the wash pump isn't coming on.
I asked you to take off the side panels so you could identify and confirm that the wash pump is working.
You would hear it humming or buzzing when it energises.
The pump is a capacitor start motor and this is normally where the fault would be.
If you go back to the start of this chat you will see we have covered this before.
You say you don't own a multimeter so I can't see how you can do any tests to confirm the fault.

Customer :

OK fine thanks, I will obviously have to either buy or borrow a multimeter so that I can carry out tests.

SparePartsPro :

Let me know how you get on.

Customer :

I am back armed with a multimeter, what should I test first, a continuity test on the ciculation pump and if so what reading should I get on the meter if it is ok?

Customer :

If you are not going to answer my previous post, then I need to conclude the chat so that I can rate. At the moment I am unable to do this.