SparePartsPro
SparePartsPro, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Mech / Electrical Tech, Appliance Service Tech, PAT Test Eng
41227295

I have an electric zanussi cooker with double oven. The oven will heat up to the correct

I have an electric zanussi cooker with double oven. The oven will heat up to the correct temperature but then shut off (oven light turns off and oven cools below thermostat temperature).
i have not been using any timer settings. However, I have noticed if set the timer at this point, sometimes the oven will come back on.
Is the timer mandatory?Thank you for any help.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  SparePartsPro replied 2 years ago.

SparePartsPro :

Hello There - My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am more than happy to help with your question today.

It might be cutting out on over temperature.
Can you post back a model number.

Customer:

zanussi zce7551x

Customer:

I was using the lower oven and a temperature of 200 (ie. nothing out of the ordinary).

SparePartsPro :

What are you like at reading schematic wiring diagrams. I have one here that shows a thermal cut out.

Customer:

Not too sure I could follow one but I'll have a go

Customer:

Do you think there is a problem with the thermal cutout. ie. it's broken. I wasn't completely sure whether it was functioning correct but that using the timer was mandatory. Am I correct in assuming that the oven should maintain a temperature without the timer set?

SparePartsPro :

Yes you don't need the clock set to auto to use it although you do need to have the clock set to read a time other than 00:00

SparePartsPro :

If you set the oven to come on at say 50, does it reach 0 then the red light go out but the oven stay on.

Customer:

I did notice that the clock has to be set to an actual time. And it has been.

Customer:

If I set the oven to a temperature, it will go to that temperature correctly.

Customer:

Then when I open the door and put something in, the oven light will typically go out (and the oven switch off). If I then play with timer controls, occasionally I can get it to go on again but typically it wont.

SparePartsPro :

Set the oven to a low temperature like 50. Wait for the red light to go out then open the door like you would.
Does the oven switch off.

Customer:

waiting for the oven to heat up....

Customer:

Red light went out. I opened and closed the door. Oven light has stayed on.

SparePartsPro :

That's right and as the oven heats up again the red light will go out.
Now turn the oven to 150 and wait for the red light to go out.

Customer:

Turned up to 150. Oven light is still on. Red light came on as I turned the thermostat up to 150.

SparePartsPro :

That's right.

SparePartsPro :

The light goes out when it reaches the temperature.

Customer:

Red light has just gone out at 150

SparePartsPro :

Turn the thermostat to maximum and tell me what happens.

Customer:

Do you want me to open and close the door at 150 first?

SparePartsPro :

Yes, that will cool the oven and the red ligh will come on.

Customer:

The (internal) oven light has just gone off. So I guess that means the oven has gone off.

SparePartsPro :

Has the oven red temperature light gone off.

Customer:

No, the red light next to the oven temperature control is still lit.

Customer:

The internal oven light is off (the fan is not moving either). It stays off if I open and close the oven door.

SparePartsPro :

You should really be using a multimeter to check if the supply has gone from the oven element.
The oven could be cutting out on over temperature so it worth checking that.
I'll try send you up the wiring diagram.

Customer:

I'm pretty sure that when this happens the oven stops heating up.

Customer:

When I first used the oven, I didn't even notice the oven light going out. What I noticed was that the temperature falls and continues to fall well below the thermostat level. So after half an hour, the temperature has fallen to maybe only 100

SparePartsPro :

Once you have identified the thermal cut out I suggest you run the test again and then once it cuts out at the high temperature place a wire link across the cut out to see if the oven comes back on.

Customer:

I think that's beyond my expertise. Would you suggest calling an engineer?

Customer:

Will I have to replace the thermal cut out? If so, do you know what the specific unit is for my cooker?

SparePartsPro :

If you are not confident working at this level then a service tech may be required.
I'll try find the part number for you.

SparePartsPro :

The cut out part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN
You can find it HERE

SparePartsPro, Appliance Technician
Experience: Mech / Electrical Tech, Appliance Service Tech, PAT Test Eng