Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My AEG Competence oven will not heat up at all, however, both

My AEG Competence oven will not heat up at all, however, both elements still function correctly when the grill is switched on, as does the fan. The problem was preceded by a popping noise that came from the oven when it was heating up, ie something seemed to blow?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 2 years ago.

Royzee :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isnt clear, please just ask me.

Royzee :

Can you tell me the model number please?

Customer:

Sure its B1180_1_M

Royzee :

HI

Royzee :

ok, this has a circular element that comes on only for the oven

Customer:

PNC944181727

Customer:

hi

Royzee :

I suspect from your description this has failed

Royzee :

Let me look it up for you, hold on

Customer:

when i switch on the grill both elements come on?

Royzee :

Theyy are used only for grilling, not for the oven

Customer:

ah ok, I couldn't see signs of any other element?

Royzee :

Isolate from the power.
Remove the back panel inside the oven.
You will see the fan and the element.
Remove the retaining screws/bolts.
Carefully pull forward the element and the wiring.
Remove the wiring.
You may see damage to the element.
If you have a meter, check it for continuity, if its open circuit you will need to replace it.

Royzee :

See here for an element

Royzee :

You need to call them and give them the model and PNC so they re check the part number for you

Royzee :

They are a reputable company so no problem ordering from them

Customer:

I do have a meter that I have used for domestic electric cabling. At which points would i check for continuity? Do you know why the element may have popped in the first instance?

Royzee :

the element can just fail over time, just like any element or lamp

Customer:

and what do you mean by an open circuit?

Royzee :

When you get the element out, note the wiring.

Royzee :

then use he meter across the element.

Royzee :

If there is no circuit across the element it is "open" crcuit

Royzee :

You may well find its physically damaged due to the "blow"

Royzee :

I hope this answers your question and you don’t forget to click the accept button for me, if you have no further questions, otherwise I wont get paid for spending my time helping you today. Thanks, Rob

Customer:

I'm just a bit nervous checking with the meter, having never done this before. Could you tell me what other signs you might expect to see if there were any other damage other than the element not working. I could just get a new element, but it would be good to know that I'm not going to connect it just for it to blow again. Any more advice to reassure me to move forward would be grateful.

Royzee :

OK

Royzee :

Normally with these symptoms, its the element

Royzee :

its very rare its anything else

Royzee :

the meter would just prove it for sure

Royzee :

If you dont want to use the meter but the element is damaged,ie a hole in it, that is good enough

Customer:

Ok, I'm getting a lot more confident now, and you are doing a great job, thank you for your help. Just one more thing, are there any other wires in that vacinity that I should be checking for damage?

Royzee :

There will be wiring to the fan motor, but if you are able to remove the element from the front, ie into the oven cavity, all you will see is the fan....no wires

Royzee :

Just make a note or a picture of the wires on the element before you remove them

Royzee :

Then you cant make a mistake

Customer:

That's great. Thank you for your help and concise answers, from what you have said it seem relatively straight forward. I hope you enjoy the rest of the day and I will be accepting just as soon as I have printed off this message stream for my own records. Thank you once again

Royzee :

It is a pretty straight forward job, You should not have any problem

Royzee :

Thanks for the accept, appreciate it

Customer:

Do you mind if I just go and check the element before accepting, just in case I see something that alarms me?I'm sure I won't but I'd just feel easier, if thats alright

Royzee :

Hi

Royzee :

Yes of course

Royzee :

Just post back when you have had a look

Customer:

Hi Rob, sorry to take so long, I dismantled the oven from the back rather than from inside to inspect the element, but its clear what I have to do now. Thanks for your patience, I'll accept now. Thank you again

Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.