Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

My Bosch dishwasher is 6 years old. The dampener mechanism

My Bosch dishwasher is 6 years old. The dampener mechanism that supports the door is broken and the door can only be fully up or fully down. Is it worth repairing it or should I look for a replacement? It is not covered by a guarantee. Model no. SGS45E...
You asked this UK Appliance question on 4/10/2012 for £11.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 4 years ago.

Can you post the full model number of the dishwasher please.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The model no is SGS45E68GB/64

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 4 years ago.

Ok what you will find here is its either a faulty hinge itself or the rope tension for the hinge.

To check you will need to pull the dishwasher out you doing this yourself and remove the top and the side panels.

From there look at the side and you will see which is faulty as it will be broken. Usually its the rope tension that breaks on these.

As to getting it fix the part itself for the rope tension is £9 each and theres 2 in there so they are about £18. If the hinge is faulty then these are £22 each so about £44 for the pair.

So if you will be getting someone in to do the repair then the labour is roughly about the £50 mark so to fix this i will say it will be less then £100.

So given the price of a new machine you will find its proberly worth the repair on this as it will be a lot more to replace it.