Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

My Whirlpool Dishwasher pump is not circulating

Customer Question

Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

Sorry, you got 220 volts across the plug to the motor? Not between the motor plug and earth?

It ran with 20 volts on the bench? Do you mean 220 volts?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, sorry I meant 220v on the bench. And there seems to me to be plenty of power / torque.
There is a certain element of power but very very slight, just enough to circulate the hot water but not near enough to pump the water around the machine in any powerful way.
I removed the two hoses feeding to the top tray and top sprayer and again there was no blockage. When I put a meter across the motor in function mode, I put it between the two pins on the actual plug that goes directly on to the motor itself.

Colm.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Can you explain, in detail, exactly what happens when the wash motor should be running?

Is it actually turning ?

Does it run at full speed or is it turning very slowly?

Did it run at full speed on the bench or very slowly?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I right in thinking this is called a circulation motor ?.
If yes, then I am assuming that a certain amount of water fills in the basin of the machine and this happens fine. Then the circulation pump starts up bit there is no pressurized spray in the machine. Just so you are aware, I have clicked the door lock, so I can see whats happening with the machine door open.
After a few minutes there is warm water now in the basin.
So to answer you question above; It seems to me to be running at full speed in both instances and to me it seems like the motor very powerful i.e. when I apply my finder to it, there is now way you could stop it (ouch). However there is I believe a slight rattle noise from the pump.
I did switch off the machine with the water still in the basin and applied 220v directly to the pump, just in case it was'nt getting enough power (220v) from the machine somehow. But this made no difference.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

If the circulation motor is running at full speed and there's no circulation, the pump is either broken or there is a blockage. (blockage is unlikely as the pump would stall and overheat).

You need to take the motor and pump assembly out of the machine.

Then, check the pump impellor.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Done all that and everything looks fine. No obstructions and the impeller turns fine also, bar a little pressure from motor magnetic field which I assume is normal.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, which pump are you taking out?

The small one attached to the drain hose or the large one?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its the circulation pump, the one with the heating coil attached ?. Which is the large one. i.e. It has a black rubber hose coming from a side exit on the machine, which is attached to a heater (straight thru steel pipe) and then through the motor and back into the machine and out to the water sprayers. Hope this is the right one ?.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

It's the right one.

However, the motor and/or the pump section are the only possible causes of the problem you have.

Sorry

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Is it possible to find out the resistance of the motor coil so it could be checked.

Thanks.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Sorry, the manufacturer doesn't provide that in the service information

Sorry, can't help further on this.

You have a faulty motor or pump, this has been established.

I'll opt out of the question and open it to all again.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, Just before you go. When you say faulty motor or pump. I am assuming these are the same thing. i.e. the water is pumped around the machine via the impeller. There is nothing else that pumps it around ?.

Thanks for your answers. Colm
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

There are several pumps on the adg7440 range.

Most can be separated from the motor