The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
12112589

I have a 3 year old Prestige Larder fridge PRT 330LS. The temperature

I have a 3 year old Prestige Larder fridge PRT 330LS. The temperature shown is always 4degrees but on Friday it went to 8 degrees for no obvious reason. The interior seemed to be frosting up on the left hand top section. None of the vents were blocked. I followed the manual to check the drainage hole & flushed it with an eggcupful of water. The temperature seemed to stabilise at 7 degrees. I tried the supercool button for a couple of hours but it did not revert to the usual 4 degrees. I have now unplugged the fridge and hope that you can help me sort the problem. Many thanks
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 4 years ago.

The Famous Forry :

Hi to you from David, 'The Famous Forry'

The Famous Forry :

From your fault description, your Prestige is 'short of gas'. When this happens the compressor will get extremely hot as it is never switching off as it does when working correctly. The remedy is to 'Re-Charge with refrigeration gas, usually R134a or R600a now more commonly used. This is not a task every DIY person can do as they do not have the necessary equipment and for a one off job it is best to call in the experts. You would expect to pay around £75 in total for this repair. If you would like to do it yourself I will be more than happy to talk you through the procedure, regards David, 'The Famous Forry'

Customer:

Hi David. Thanks for the response. I shall leave the repair to the experts