Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius FDM550 dishwasher and the detergent

I have a Hotpoint Aquarius FDM550 dishwasher and the detergent dispenser will no longer open on any cycle. When it tries to open, it makes an odd noise and stalls, I had to mopen the door and manually open the dispenser to stop it trying to do so itself. Any ideas?

As the machine is trying to open the dispenser this suggests the fault is with the dispenser itself.

If you leave the dispenser open and run the programme, does it make the noise and stall? or does it just go through the programme?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It works fine with the dispenser open, I've ran a program with it open and it was ok, although it has also ran through several programs, made no noise but just didn't open the dispenser at all.

Thanks for that.

It really sounds, from what you've posted, that the dispenser is faulty.

You would need to obtain and fit a new dispenser to try and cure the fault.

There are only the dispenser, wiring and main control board involved.

If you have, and can use, a multimeter, unplug the appliance and take the outer door off.

Check the dispenser to see if it's open circuit and test to see if it's being powered during the wash. (you'll need to restore power to check this).

If it's being powered or if it's open circuit, it confirms the dispenser is the faulty item.

It it's not being powered, it suggests the control board is faulty.

Check it out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help

Hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help, I'll ask hubby to have a go when he has time and let you know what's what.

No problem, just post when you can.

Good luck with the repair.