Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

I have a Smeg Fridge / Freezer type FAB30PS3 which has performed

I have a Smeg Fridge / Freezer type FAB30PS3 which has performed superbly for a number of years. Three days ago , although ice was still present in the freezer, the fridge was becoming warm, a condition which has continued. I have cleaned the unit, checked the electrics but the unit still continues to heat up with no refrigeration. The compressor gets hot and is obviously the source of the overall heating up. The thermostat regulator box illuminates and appears to be working. Settings have been varied to no avail - the switch on "1" and the thermostat up to 7.
Your advice on how to proceed much appreciated.
Dr Roger Flatt
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Is there any ice or cooling within the appliance now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. As stated I have cleaned the unit (both fridge and freezer) completely, and removed all traces of ice (considerable quantities) from the freezer. All the internals of both are now clean, in place, dry, and no deposits or spillage were apparent under the unit. As stated no cooling is now taking place, all areas (both fridge and freezer) are warm, and the compressor is hot.

Thanks, Roger

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Sorry, it wasn't too clear in your statement, so I check to make sure .

The compressor is running and getting hot, there is no cooling inside the appliance.

This is either no refrigerant in the appliance (leak), faulty compressor (running but not pumping) or a blockage in the system pipework.

I'm afraid none of these are diy repairs.

You would need to have a refrigeration engineer attach gauges and a vacuum pump to the compressor pipework to determine the exact cause.

If it's blocked or leaking, it may not be repairable.

If it is repairable, you'll have the labour charge and the cost of a regas.

If it's the compressor at fault, you'll need a new compressor and regas to get the machine running again.

Unfortunately, these are expensive repairs.

A compressor and regas (depending on the compressor) would cost between £150 and £200. (some compressors push the price to nearer £300)

Sorry, not the news you were hoping for nor an easy fix.

Hope this helps