Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.

I have an Indesit washing machine. The problem is that when

Customer Question

I have an Indesit washing machine. The problem is that when I set the program and start the washing machine when the program dial reaches the spin mode (the sqiggle) the machine stops and the dial starts turning and keeps on till I switch the machine off. Can I fix this problem ?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

When the dial is clicking round is the start light flashing?

If so then count the number of flashes from it inbetween the pause and let me know.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The start light does flash, the flashes count, is it in between the clicks on the dial as it moved from one function to another ?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Ok dont worry about the light if it isnt flashing.

When it does this is it leaveing the washer still full of water?

If so can you drain it out?

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I switch the machine off, then put the dial back on the spin (the squiggle bit) and switch back on, the machine then goes in a spin and drains the water.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Ok have you checked the filter?

If not then take the bottom plastic cover off on the front at the bottom.

From there you will see the filter. Take this out and clear out any debris thats in there.

Then check the drain hose and were it drains to and make sure thats all clear aswell

Once clear retry it and see how it goes from there.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry I couldn't get back to this till today.

I took the plastic cover off and cleaned the filter. I have checked the drain hose and the outside pipe where it runs to and is all clear. I have changed the blue water pipe as the old one appeared to be damaged.

I still have the same problem. Is there another solution to this please

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Ok if the filter is all clear and its still the same and the drum is turing ok then its proberly going to be the control board at the back.

Now for this you will be best getting indesit to do the repair if you want it repaired as they offer a fixed price repair which is about £105 this includes all parts and labour so will be cheaper then doing the repair yourself.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

£105 seems too much. I may as well buy a new one for about £200, which will come with warranty.

Is there nothing I can do myself to fix ?

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

All you can do is pull washer out and take the back off and check the connections on the control board at the back.

But if its stopping on spin and it has drained the water out then its either the motor or the control unit so you can check the carbon brushes in the back of the motor but if the drum turns then the carbon brushes will proberly be ok.

Regards

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sound like motor because the drum spins. If i turn the machine round and take the back panel off i.e will see the back of the drum, then can i see the motor or for this is at the front bottom. Also is it easy to buy a new one and replace.

Sorry i'm looking for a cheap alternative at present.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Again if the motor is the problem then nthese are about £100 just for the part so for the extra £5 indesit will fit it and give a warrenty aswell.

Unless you have a look on ebay for a second hand motor and see if that works.

But motor and control boards are not cheap parts

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your help
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome.