The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
12112589

We have just atepted to turn on the oven on our smeg suk 91mfx

Customer Question

We have just atepted to turn on the oven on our smeg suk 91mfx and while the lights & fan still work,the oven is not getting warm,it also tripped off the fuse @ the consumer unit.can you give me a solution/advise
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Rob replied 5 years ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Does the temperature neon on the front still come on as it should?

Thanks

Rob
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the neon still comes & the two oven fans & light work.thanks paul
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I have not yet received an answer & have been told he is answering another question or off line & if require a quicker response.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 5 years ago.
Hi to you from David, 'The Famous Forry'
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi can you help with the problem I have with my smeg cooker model suk91mfx

Yes I can I hope.

All works but NO HEAT as I see it. Is this correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes,that's correct.

Ok This is most definately ELEMENT failure and an easy repair

Are you able to remove the element?

If you can, please ISOLATE all power to the appliance and remove from the housing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There is a top element and a bottom one,I presume,the top one is for the grill but am not sure.is the bottom for the oven only or do they both generate heat. Can you advise how best to remove the element?
The element most likely will be a circular one around the fan at the back centrally. To remove, firstly ISOLATE power. Then remove from housing, remove back panel/lid. Note whre wires are on element and make CLEAR note of EXACT orientation. When you get this far let me know. I am here as long as you need help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There do not appear to be any elements around the fan at the rear of the cooker,only one at the top and one on the base of the oven,which are both large rectangular one's.
OK. Please look around both elements and see if the skin (outer Case) is ruptured. A torch may assist you here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes will do,however I have now removed the cover from the fans and there are circular elements around the two fans,but neither are getting hot,is it likely they would both fail at the same time or is it likely to be something else.also the bottom element is still not getting hot?

Yes this is only ONE element with 2 turns. This is your problem

Remove and replace. Problem SOLVED. Be carefull to make absolutely SURE wgrer the wires go!!!

£32. Delivered to any UK address. Do you want help getting this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi,there are two elements with two turns & neither are working,do you think I need to replace both or is it likely to be something else?
Possibly but unlikely. Do you have a multimeter to be able to test them for continuity. ? It may be that one went and you never quite realised and then the other went. .
Experience: I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We will accept you advice.thanks very much,we will sorce our own replacements & forward payment
Thankyou for using 'The Famous Forry' and come back if you require any more help on this ANYTIME. Regards David.