Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a Bosch WVT12840GB/04 Washer/Dryer that keeps tripping

Customer Question

I have a Bosch WVT12840GB/04 Washer/Dryer that keeps tripping the RCD unit in my Fuseboard. It was tripping the power instantly then i left it a few days and it started working fine but now it has stopped again. I have checked the pump and its not blocked but i dont know what else it could be? I am a qualified electrician so i am comfortable with changing parts on appliances, i just need to know where to look.

Many Thanks.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Ok if its tripping the electrics out then on these its usually either the dryer element, wash element or the motor.

If you have a megger then hopefully you will find the problem faster.

Pull the washer out and take off the back and the top.

You will see the dryer element at the top there. Megger this to earth and see if its faulty.

If ok then look at the back at the bottom you will see the motor megger this out aswell.

If ok then you will see the heater in the drum just above the motor.Megger this out aswell.

As you may find 1 of these will be the problem.

Let me know what you find.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I do not have test gear with me at the moment so when I get hold of it, (probably tomorrow), I will test all three things and get back to you. Thanks again.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

No worries check it out and let me know what you find.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have meggered all three parts, the heater element is clear, the motor showed 3.5 - 4Meg Ohms and the washer element showed 2 - 2.5Meg Ohms. However, there is a fair amount of corrosion around the left side of the element which looks like the neutral side. Im not sure if the reading on the washer element is low enough to cause the tripping? It still seems quite a high reading to me.

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Ok it does seem like they are fine with them readings.

1 way of knowing is by disconnecting the wires and try the washer and see if it trips out when you turn it on.

Just try megging out the mains filter aswell and a few other parts on there as you have the dryer motor on top and the pump at the bottom.

Regards

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The washer is on a 2 hour drying cycle as we speak, i have never had a problem when i put it on dry its always on the wash which makes me think it could be something like a pinhole size split on the element? I will disconnect the washer element and try a few cycles.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Ok no worries you may find the readings on the megger will go lower on the wash element as it gets hot so thats when it may blow it.

Regards

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have tried a few cycles without the wash element connected
And it hasn't tripped so I'm fairly confident it is that. Many thanks
For your help and I'll leave good feedback.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Glad to hear its worked like this.

A new heater should cure this.

Regards