The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980

Good day to youThis is my fourth attempt at submitting

Good day to you This is my fourth attempt at submitting a question so hope you are not inundated with repetitions. I have a Lavamat 580 washing machine purchased approximately 10+ years ago. Other than replacing the thermostat, shocks and door latch approximately 3 years go, the machine has been in perfect working order. Today, the machine was starting its final spin during a normal medium sized wash at 40 degrees a loud "rattling" noise emanated from the machine. On investigation I notice that the spin cycle was struggling to keep its speed, almost stopped and then picked up again. I immediately stopped the machined and switched it off at the plug. I then notice a vast amount of electrical smelling smoke coming from the machine. I emptied it of laundry (no smell of smoke on the laundry) and when turning the drum manually by hand the same light sounding "rattling" noise can still be heard. I would be grateful if you could advise me of your opinion and whether the machine can be or is worth having repaired. If the latter, can the repairs be effected on-site? Kind regards XXXXX XXXXX
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 2 years ago.

The Famous Forry :

Thankyou for using David, The Famous Forry on Just Answer

The Famous Forry :

Hi Joan, This sounds like Main Drum Bearring Failure. It can Be repaired but is a big job and requires a good selection of tools. Job takes about 2-3 hours to complete. Bearrings and seal Kit cost about £35- £40. If you get engineer in to do the job you will be faced with a repair bill of around £95- £125. You have to make the decision yourself as to whether it is a viable repair or time to buy a new machine. I can help you find the best prices for a new machine and also locate any spares if your going to attempt the repair yourself along with a step by step guide in doing so. Hope this helps Joan, Best Wishes and a Happy New Year from David, 'The Famous Forry' at Just Answer.

Experience: I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
The Famous Forry :

The Famous Forry :

Hi XXXXX sounds like Main Drum Bearring Failure. It can Be repaired but is a big job and requires a good selection of tools. Job takes about 2-3 hours to complete. Bearrings and seal Kit cost about £35- £40. If you get engineer in to do the job you will be faced with a repair bill of around £95- £125. You have to make the decision yourself as to whether it is a viable repair or time to buy a new machine. I can help you find the best prices for a new machine and also locate any spares if your going to attempt the repair yourself along with a step by step guide in doing so. Hope this helps Joan, Best Wishes and a Happy New Year from David, 'The Famous Forry' at Just Answer.