Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

How do I identify a new gas hob that will fit the recess in

How do I identify a new gas hob that will fit the recess in which my original (& now no longer available) AEG C/95605/GW glass gas hob fitted? My recess is 550mm wide by 470mm deep by 40mm thick and cannot be made any bigger: few manufacturers state the exact dimensions required for their hobs, usually just stating 600 x 600 which may be the recess or may be the overall dimensions. I would prefer not to be restricted to AEG models only.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

The size you quote for the aperture is extremely small for modern hobs.

Even the smallest Hotpoint hob requires 555mm wide by 475mm deep.

Click here for the Hotpoint hobs

The cut out sizes are shown at the bottom of each hob specification.

Click here for Bosch hobs

You have to click on the hob and then on technical specs tab to see the cut out required for the hob.

Click here for Candy Hobs

Again, click on the hob and you'll get the cut out required.

Click here for AEG hobs

Click on the Gas Hobs tab then on the Gas hob link you want to see.

You should get the cut out information there in the product specs.

There's also a brochure, click here for the brochure

If you can gain an extra 5mm on the cut out on your worktop, it gives you a wide choice of hob.

At the sizes you've posted, there are very few hobs that will fit.

Check them out, see what you find and get back to me if you need more help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you - this is very helpful. But I have stumbled on a further problem. I understand there are strict regulations about the height above a gas hob of extractor fan hoods. My dimensions are: working surface is 600mm wide, gas hob takes up 470mm of this and is 550mm wide. The height above the work surface of the cupboards above is 445mm. Vertically above the hob is a space exactly the same width as the hob, 550mm, and the vertical distance of the extractor fan hood (when closed)above the hob is 640mm. I suspect that what was fitted into our new kitchen in 2002 is now illegal and incapable of being adapted - without major reconstruction work. Do you agree? Would an electric hob fit these dimensions and be within the regulations?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Whilst there are strict regulations on gas appliances the same doesn't apply to electric hobs.

Your existing hob would have had a clearance figure in the original installation instructions.

The figures you've quoted above would mean that a gas hob installed would contravene the regulations (and possibly void your house insurance).

You will likely find you still need the extra 5 mm on the space the hob fits into.

The overall size on top of the worktop would be 580mm wide and 51mm deep.

This should compare favorable to the existing hob.

Check out the same links as before but select electric appliances.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Very helpful advice - thank you.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

You're very welcome.

Good luck with the new appliance.

Hope this helped