The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
12112589

Hotpoint washer wm53 has no red power light on and is not working.

Customer Question

Hotpoint washer wm53 has no red power light on and is not working. There is power to the machine and power to the door sensor / micro switch. How do you check that the door switch is faulty or could it be the main control board circuit that has failed please?

Regards

Dave H
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 2 years ago.

The Famous Forry :

Hi to you from David, 'The Famous Forry'

The Famous Forry :

How many wires to your door interlock?

The Famous Forry :

This could well be the door interlock but also it coudld be PCB etc etc

Customer :

There are three wires to the door interlock switch and all are live even when the switch is depressed as in when the door is closed etc?

Customer :

I know it could be the PCB and I know it could be the door interlock switch. Is there a way of by passing the door interlock switch to check its function please?

Customer :

I am new to this asking of questions online, is there going to be anymore replys as you have asked me a question and the problem has not yet been resolved please?

Customer :

I will gladly accept the payment if I receive an answer that helps me etc?

The Famous Forry :

Hi again

The Famous Forry :

Yes The door lock has no NUETRAL so I doubt it is the door lock. To by-pass as test ONLY you can join the LIVE and COMMON . Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you leave your door lock BYPASSED. This is a test only procedure.

The Famous Forry :

Please test your pump for continuity before lookingat the PCB's

Customer :

Hello, I have done that. I have connected the live and the common. There is no change?

The Famous Forry :

OK As said there is no NUETRAL so it is not the DOOR LOCK

Customer :

When the switch to the interlock is depressed as in when the door is closed, shouldn't this open or close the circuit and so one of the terminals should then be dead as the circuit is broken? By passing the live and common made no difference? Nor has diconnecting the terminals in turn?

The Famous Forry :

Do you have a NUETRAL at MAINS In?

Customer :

Would it not be easier to talk to you over the phone? And explain exactly what I have done etc.

The Famous Forry :

EDITED FOR TOS COMPLIANCE

Customer :

Hi David,

Customer :

It was the double pole on off switch that was faulty. The neutral terminal had broken off, but also the door interlock is faulty because now I have repaired the on off switch, the door interlock is still not working and I have had to by pass that as we discussed to get the washer to work.

Customer :

Thank you very much for all your help as you pointed me in the right direction. I did not know that the main on off switch was double pole! So I could not understand why we had power to and from the interlock switch and to the PCB etc but yet it was not working. Thanks again. Regards, XXXXX

Lori-Moderator40907.5575986921
Experience: I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980