The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
12112589

Can you help fault find a problem with my neff W542 washing

Can you help fault find a problem with my neff W542 washing machine.

The Famous Forry :

Hi to you from David, 'The Famous Forry'

The Famous Forry :

What sort of fault are you experiencing please?

Customer:

ive done a bit of fault finding. this is as far as i have got. the wash cycle stops just after the initial fill. i can hear the heating element kick in kettling noise. but it cuts off after 10 seconds.

Customer:

i have tried each cycle 30 40 and 60 degree. each one fills with a different temp water 30 cold 40 warm 60 warm/hot. but when i check the water temp in the drum the temp is the same as the incoming water. 30 cold 40 warm 60 warm/hot but def not 60degrees.

The Famous Forry :

Does the drum rotate at all?

The Famous Forry :

Are you saying the water is not heating?

The Famous Forry :

If the water is not heating then the element is the first thing to look at and check

The Famous Forry :

Do you have a multimeter to test the element?

Customer:

it seems that way. without a thermostat i cant be sure. but im pretty certain. no i dont have a multi meter

Customer:

no the drum does not rotate

The Famous Forry :

Please try your machine on spin only to see if the drum rotates .

Customer:

i have just tried it but it wont start spinning. the cycle seems to i.e the drain pump seems to kick in but then nothing.

The Famous Forry :

Ok I suggest you look at the brushes in the motor to see if they have worn out. They seem most likely fault right now.

Customer:

what are the indications that they have worn too much. would that mean replacing the motor or can you replace the brushes?

The Famous Forry :

You will need some tools to do this and remove the main motor. Please ISOLATE your Appliance from the mains ELECTRIC before attempting any repair. Once you have the motor off please report back here. Thankyou.

The Famous Forry :

Yes you can replace the brushes only at a cost of about £20 a pair.

Customer:

will do. probably take half hour or so. I hope!

Customer:

i have removed the motor and have removed the long bolts to dismantle the motor. just want to check i can seperate it without any precautions and what to look for when check wear on the brushes?

The Famous Forry :

Hi again, How are you getting on?

The Famous Forry :

The brushes are usually held down in their chamber/holder using 2 small philips head/ star head screws or 5.5 mm bolt head screws.

The Famous Forry :

You can upload a picture of your motor and this will help me determine your next step and or see the state of wear on your brushes.

Customer:

will take a picture and upload it. give me a while.

Customer:

brushes
Full Size Image

Customer:

one is clearly shorter than the other. you can see the full length of both.

The Famous Forry :

Ok brush on left of picture looks worn or is sticking in holder/chamber. The are meant to move up and down the chamber with ease.

Customer:

good spring force on the right brush. very little on the left. quite likely sticking.

The Famous Forry :

Is the brush on the left stuck or considerably shorter?

The Famous Forry :

If shorter you need a new set.

Customer:

yes. and yes i agree. do you know a good supplier. is this an item held in stock generally that i could get from a local supplier

Customer:

how do i know what to order? will they know from the appliance model or do i need the motor model number

The Famous Forry :

Brushes are £29.16 plus vat a set (2 Brushes) There is more to the model number so please check full model number and serial number. Sometimes these numbers start eNr or Fd

Customer:

ok thanks.