The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980

My washing machine works very well but produces smelly washing

My washing machine works very well but produces smelly washing after the drying cycle. There is a U-bend before the drain. About 3 months ago the dryer stopped working and the engineer managed to fix it by cleaning out a filter{?] near the drain panel, very difficult for him to get at. Would cleaning with soda or vinegar help?
Thanks, Liz

The Famous Forry :

Hi liz from David, 'The Famous Forry'

The Famous Forry :

Your machine is a washer and dryer combined?

The Famous Forry :

Once your machine has emptied please reve the filter and clean, then replace. If washer dryer as suspected then your machine has a lot of plastic ducting for the warm air flow and these can get clogged with bits of fluff and begin to smell. The trouble is getting at them to clean,,,,,, This is an engineers strip down job! Do not despair though as it may be remedied by doing a wash and adding a nice smelling disinfectant, you can buy these in concentrate bottles and add to your wash. Zoflora do some in small cigarette size boxes with many fragrances. Do not add any clothes , just do an empty wash and hopefully this will freshen up your machine. Best wishes at Christmas regards XXXXX XXXXXThe Famous Forry'

Yes, it is a combined washer/drier. I bought the AEG one that Which? recommended, and as it cost £600 I didn't expect any trouble. Fortunately my local engineer is great and doesn't charge a fortune. I suspected something like this might be the problem, I will try your suggestion.Many thanks, Liz