The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
12112589

My Neff 5340X2GB wont enter the fast spin cycle. It washes

My Neff 5340X2GB won't enter the fast spin cycle. It washes Ok but only spins at a fraction of the speed it should do in the spin cycle. I've tried it in the spin cycle only and the drum rotates fine but the issue remains. I have tried cleaning the drain pipe and the pump to make sure they are clear so it's not a draining issue. Any ideas?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  The Famous Forry replied 3 years ago.

The Famous Forry :

Hi to you from David, 'The Famous Forry'

The Famous Forry :

Now your sure it is not a draining issue, it is most likely motor brushes are worn, or an electronic fault. Motor brushes are pieces of carbon and generally last about 5-8 years depending on the amount of useage. You would have to remove the main motor to check the carbon brushes. I can of course help you through this.

Customer:

The machine is only 3 years old but gets a lot of use, at least used daily. I will check the brushes but will need to know how to get to them

Customer:

The machine works fine other than not going into fast spin so i guess the brushes are not providing enough contact

The Famous Forry :

Hi just got back from break!

The Famous Forry :

Yes, Remove motor to look at brushes. Isolate the electric first!

Customer:

Looks like the motor is held in place by two long bolts through the mounting points, and the front mounting point is fastened to the drum frame. I guess its just a case of taking the 2 long bolts out?

The Famous Forry :

Yes , 13mm bolts or 10mm from memory .

Customer:

i got the motor off and the brushes are housed in a plastic body. Took that apart and the brushes are fitted inside a steel body. There is about an inch of carbon remaining from what i can see, but don't think its possible to take the carbon out of the steel body. I am not sure how long the carbon should be but i think there is still a lot left so now think it could be an electrical issue.

The Famous Forry :

Can you show a few pictures of the brushes / motor please?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

The motor is a CESET MCA 61/64 - 148/SM1

Customer:

12000RPM - 1.7A - 380 W

The Famous Forry :

Brushes are certainly long enough, are they shiny at the end that hits the armature? Are the moving up and down against the spring ok?

The Famous Forry :

The next thing to look at is module (PCB) and all wiring connections, especially at the motor.

Customer:

The brushes are quite shine where they have been in contact but not exactly a mirror finish. They make good contact as the springs are very responsive with no snagging. I checked the wires as i took the motor out but didnt see anything that looked out of place. Where is the module for this? i am not really electrical beyond the basics of checking for loose connections and good contacts but will see if anything looks wrong if i can identify the part.

The Famous Forry :

It is a printed circuit board. They may be 2 on the macine. Coloured green with lots of electronics on it. Usually across the top behind front facia or and just under lid to thright front of the machine.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX the motor a dust down with the vacuum and checked all the connections were tight. On re assembly it started and the issue has gone.

Experience: I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980