The Famous Forry
The Famous Forry, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  I have my own business in the Domestic Appliance Repair established 1980
12112589

I have a Diplomat APM 8522 integrated washing machine. The

I have a Diplomat APM 8522 integrated washing machine. The last spin cycle was really noisy. The machine now fill really slowly with water, doesn't advance through the cycle on its own, but when I manually advance the programme it does drain and spin. However there was a burning rubber smell with some smoke coming from the drum. I can rotate the drum by hand but it is noisy and doesn't move smoothly.

The Famous Forry :

Hi to you from David 'The Famous Forry'

The Famous Forry :

Was your machine noisey recently when it was on the final spin cycle?

The Famous Forry :

I see it was and this sounds like your drum bearrings are shot and would require replacing with the neccessary seals.

The Famous Forry :

This is an expensive job to have done by an engineer. Are you able to do a bearring job yourself. Do you have the neccessary tools?

Customer:

Yes it was really noisy, but I have tried it since, it fills slowly and won't advance through the cycle. The bottom left hand side of the drum was hot to touch also.

The Famous Forry :

I can help source all the parts for you if you are going to have a go at this repair yourself and talk you through the repair.

Customer:

No tools, no idea so would need an engineer. Is the cost of the repair worth it or should I invest in a new machine?

The Famous Forry :

It is a more major repair and to do yourself would cost about £50. Engineer about £160. New integrated machine of same quality about £380

Customer:

Thanks for your help, I'll have a think about my options.