Solarman1947
Solarman1947, Heating Engineer
Experience:  Mainly on Gas Heating but there are Fires and Cookers coming up in this category

smeg SpA 42016 - Mod SRV576NE1 - Type P7FVOA - CE1AU1539The

Customer Question

smeg SpA 42016 - Mod SRV576NE1 - Type P7FVOA - CE1AU1539

The ignition on one of the rings of my built in smeg hob has failed and my CORGI engineer is unable to access the underside of the unit without breaking the gasket and even then it is not obvious how to access the ignition mechanism. My Instruction Manual gives no guidance on removing the hob. Can you advise, please,
1. Does the engineer have to remove the entire unit from the worktop to access the ignition?
2. If so, how does he separate the top of the hob from the base of the hob to access the ignition.
3. If he proceeds, can I buy a new gasket and, if so, can you advise of a supplier of gaskets.

Many thanks

Alan Gammie
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes I am still awaiting an answer but I am very disappointed that my credit card has already been charged with the £9 fee. Six days have passed and the only 'answer' so far is to ask if I've had an answer!

If you are able to provide a full answer then fine but if not please refund my £9.

Alan Gammie

Expert:  Walt-mod replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We'll be in touch again shortly.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK - thanks - I'll leave it with you.

Alan Gammie

Expert:  Solarman1947 replied 2 years ago.
Hi Rick here UK plumber, I am not familiar with your particular model, but all built in hobs that I have fitted and or repaired, need to be removed from the work top, once this is done on the face that seals to the work top you will find screws holding the two parts together, there is no special gasket, most hobs are supplied with a sticky back foam strip that is next to useless, sanitary grade silicon sealant is far better, although a little messy if you are not used to dealing with it, you can get it in white, brown, clear, Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Nothing wrong with your logic but two points:

1. By your own admission you are not familiar with my hob and when we (my CORGI engineer and myself) viewed it from underneath there were no visible screws or other means of 'holding' the top piece to the bottom piece.

2. In the installation instructions booklet, which are simply installation instructions and give no clue to maintenance, it makes reference to the gasket and both my CORGI engineer and myself were of the opinion that it was certainly not silicon sealant between the hob and the worktop.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply to me but I think on this occasion I'll have to seek assistance elsewhere.

1 you cannot see the screws until it is removed from the worktop as they are in the flange that sits on the work top, there are a few that have screws under the burners but usually you still need to remove it from the work top. 2 I have fitted hundreds of hobs and sinks and any sealing strip supplied has been discarded as not fit for purpose, it is only when you come to remove a unit that has been fitted with one of so called gaskets that you see what has oozed in between the unit and the work top, and it does not look nice, silicon every time for a professional finish, Rick
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Having received an email from JustAnswer, they have requested that I contact yourself. The following is a copy of the email I sent them and I now consider the matter closed.

Alan Gammie

Hi I raised a question specifically regarding a Smeg appliance and I gave all necessary product numbers and details. The answer I received was a general answer for built in hobs in general which may, or may not, be applicable for my appliance. As you admitted, you are not familiar with this appliance and so I have to say that I am disappointed with the ‘general' answer. A ‘general' answer of this nature is, in my opinion, not worth £9 and had I thought for a moment that a ‘general' answer was all that I would receive I would not have posed the question in the first instance. Before removing the hob, I wanted to be certain of the facts relating to my Smeg hob and I have to say that the answer I received did not leave me with any degree of certainty. Alan Gammie