Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

I have a Schreiber APM6855 integrated 50/50 fridge freezer.

Customer Question

I have a Schreiber APM6855 integrated 50/50 fridge freezer. The fridge compartment is not working with an 'H' display on the controller. The internal fridge light is working as is the freezer compartment. Can you help?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

H indicates the fridge is too warm.

First, check the fan in the freezer is running, you should be able to hear it.

If it's ok, unplug the appliance.

Inside the fridge, take off the panels on the rear wall.

You'll come across an air diffuser that allows air from the freezer to come into the fridge.

Check it's ok.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The only panels on the rear wall are the light assembly..and a small louvred opening. I've have removed these which exposes two 3in square holes one of which has a (motor controlled?) flap. The freezer is making a running noise but I can't detect any air movement in the fridge box. NEIL W
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

It's the flap you are checking.

Is it open or closed?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks , when I took the panel off I think it was open. NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

If it's open, the fault is going to be a blockage in the ducting between the freezer and fridge or, a blocked evaporator in the freezer.

First, unplug the appliance.

Take the rear panels inside the freezer off to expose the evaporator.

if the evaporator is a solid block of ice, fully defrost and then reassemble to try the machine again.

If it's all clear, it's a blockage in the ducting.

To cure this, you have to carry out a full defrost of the appliance.

At least, 24 hours unplugged, doors open and in a warm room.

After this, close the doors, turn it on and it should cool down again.

Check it out, see what you find.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The 'radiator' is covered in ice and obviously needs a defrost.Should this be a 24 hr air defrost or can I chip off avoiding having to temporarily put the perishables in another freezer.NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

Don't chip it off, you'll burst it.

Use a steamer to defrost it quickly.

If this is the only problem, it should work again.

If the ducting is blocked, I'm afraid it's a 24 hour off job.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fine, thanks NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Defrosted everything with the steamer.Turned on for last 1.5hrs and same issue. Freezer working fine,fan turning but no chill to the fridge compartment and 'H' displayed. Any thoughts? NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

Already advised on this.

The ducting is blocked.

You need to do the full defrost.

The freezer is clear.

Fan is running.

The air diffuser in the fridge is open.

It can only be a blockage preventing air being blown through.

If you are unsure of any of the items you've responded to, such as the air diffuser being open, check again.

If it's open, you need to try a full defrost.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Its been defrosted for 20hrs. and apart from icing around the condenser there was only a very small amount of free water generated.The diffuser was open when I took the panel off but the seal/ sticky stuff to position it doesn't hold it in position when being replaced.NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

I'm sorry but this isn't making any sense.

Have you put all the panels back on?

If you have, and if the fan is running, the ducting is clear and the diffuser is open, you get cold air from the freezer into the fridge.

If you get no cold air, one of the 3 is to blame.

Fan, duct or diffuser.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Neither the freezer and fan or the fridge are working. Is this terminal? NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

Is the compressor running?

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not a sound from anything. NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, that would account for the lack of ice in the freezer section and the cooling problem in the fridge.

Your freezer would have been defrosting at the start of this and now that it's defrosted and not running, nothing is cooling.

The most likely cause of the problem, given the new symptoms, would be the control board in the facia panel.

I am assuming the compressor is not hot and not clicking.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fred, amazingly, after two hours of nothing happening, the fridge is cooling and the freezer is operating. Should I trust it or do you think it may be a control board brain fart?
NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

2 hours to start up is a long time.

Run it, see what happens.

See if the fridge cools too.

If it runs and cools, I wouldn't fill the freezer just yet.

See what happens over the next few days.

Good luck with it.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help and advice. NW
Expert:  Techdesk replied 2 years ago.

Hiya,

No problem, good luck with the appliance.

Thanks