Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

Hello. I have a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 WM52. It is not

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Hotpoint First Edition 1000 WM52. It is not working correctly. The machine stops during a wash cycle. The dial on the front stops moving. I've taken the top off. You can hear a clicking noise from the controller unit behind the dial on the front.

I am able to manually move the controller dial forward. The unit fills with water and drains correctly.

It does not spin, either during the wash cycle nor during the spin cycle. The problem appears to be progressive, the first time we had an issue it was still spinning during the wash cycle.

Don't know if this matters but the machine was idle for two weeks and ceased to work upon return from holiday.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Unplug the appliance.

Take the top off.

Check the wiring to the motor hasn't broken.

If ok, take the carbon brushes out of the motor.

If worn or broken, you'll need to replace them.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The wires appear to be fine.

Unfortunately, I don't know what carbon brushes are nor how I would remove them. If this is relatively straightforward, I am happy to try. I have tools. If it is not straightforward for a novice then my main concern is if it is worth getting a repair person in or if I should get a new machine.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Click here for a video on changing the brushes

You can check them without taking the motor out.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I've takent he brushes out and they are very worn. I am going to try installing new ones. Thanks.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for letting me know.

Good luck with the repair.

Let me know how it goes.

Hope this helped

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello again,

I believe I have installed the carbon brushes correctly but unfortunately this has not solved the problem. The machine basically behaves the same as before. It fills and drains but does not spin.

I am now wondering if it is worth getting someone out to repair it or if I should just go for a new one.

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

If you can, disconnect the plug to the motor.

Disconnect the wire to the carbon brushes.

Test for continuity between each wire and the plug.

You should get continuity between each wire and 1 plug connection for each.

Let me know what you find.

Thanks