Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

Hi, I have a Hotpoint SDW80 dishwasher and it keeps displaying

Customer Question

I have a Hotpoint SDW80 dishwasher and it keeps displaying a fault code of AL 08 - please can you let me know what this means?

thanks

Jackie
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

When the machine stops, is the water hot?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry - am not sure, Ive just been trying to drain it and havent checked the temperature?
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

If you start a new programme, it should drain first.

Let it run through, when it gives the alarm, check to see if the water is hot.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Cool, have just set it off and will let you know - it usually takes about fifteen minutes before it gets stuck. It has stopped displaying the fault code, just stopping and sticking on a certain time
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, let me know what happens.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hiya,

Its stopped on 50 mins remaining and the water is cool - dose that help?

thanks
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for that.

After that time the water should have been hot.

AL08 indicates a heating fault.

The service manual suggests the following.

Time out for water heating.

The module has not detected temperature increase in 60 minutes.

• Check that the thermistor is not detached from the inner door panel.
  • The thermistor is out of calibration.
  • The wash pump is not circulating the water.
  • Check the element is heating, and the TOC is not opening after a time.
  • If all above tests are OK replace module card.

In practise, it's normally either the heater or the main control board that is faulty.

If you are able to check and test the appliance, unplug it first.

You'll need to take the top and side panels off.

Check the heater, see if it's open circuit.

If it tests ok, the fault will most likely lie with the control board in the facia.

Sorry, not good news or an easy fix.

Check it out, see what you find.

If you are unable to check the items, give Hotpoint a call.

They have a range of fixed price repair schemes that all include parts and labour.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for that, will give Hotpoint a call then

cheers
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for letting me know.

Good luck with the repair.

Thanks