NeilWill
NeilWill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Repaired appliances over seas in europe and Middle east .

why does the fuse keep blowing on my fridge/freezer

Customer Question

why does the fuse keep blowing on my fridge/freezer?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  NeilWill replied 2 years ago.

NeilWill :

Hello, Thank you for using JustAnswer! If you have any questions after reading my answer,be sure to let me know.

NeilWill :

Without being there to inspect it sounds as if you have a shorted wire some where. perhaps in the wiring harness or a switch.

NeilWill :

This is not your home handy person repair. Unfortunately this time you may need a hands on tech on location.

NeilWill :

Which fuse is blowing? The fuse to the fridge at the homes electric box?

NeilWill :

Are you there?

Customer:

Hi Neil

Customer:

Yes I am here. House was rewired 5 years ago with seperate circuit for kitchen power points. Fridge/freezer is wired direct into that circuit with it's own fused switch and indicator light on the wall. This one blows taking out relevant switches on kitchen and main fuse boards.

Customer:

NeilWill :

How old is the fridge?

NeilWill :

So the fridge has a dedicated power line to the home breaker box

Customer:

5 or 6 years old Ariston jobbie

NeilWill :

if so and it still trips other breakers in you house breaker box, even though it is on a dedicated power line, then there may be a outlet or wiring problem in the kitchen rather than a fault in the fridge.

NeilWill :

So the fridge has a dedicated power line to the home breaker box, and it still trips other breakers in you house breaker box, even though it is on a dedicated power line, then there may be a outlet or wiring problem in the kitchen rather than a fault in the fridge.

NeilWill :

have you had any other electrical work done in the kitchen since those 5 years ago? Like any new things installed latley that may be the cause?

NeilWill :

Since it tripped more breakers than the fridges dedicated power line, you may first need an electrician to check out the system before you start on the fridge!

Customer:

It's not a dedicated power line to the kitchen box, it goes into the kitchen circuit which also serves washing machine and several power points

Customer:

Please forgive my electrical ignorance!

Customer:

No other electrical work done or new appliances

NeilWill :

Does this happen when one or more appliances are running along with the fridge? Or if the fridge compresser is cycled on and running during the dishwasher cycle or washer or dryer???

Customer:

Not sure. I think it has blown when nothing else on e.g. in the middle of the night.

NeilWill :

If another appliance other than the fridge is running and you hear the compressor in the fridge cycle on at the same time or right before the power trips the circuit, then it is not the fridge, but an electrical problem in the house.

NeilWill :

In the night when nothing is on, may be a cause of the community power going out and then restarting, causing a surge tripping the breaker. You have breakers in the house rather than fuses???

NeilWill :

After hearing all these details, unfortunately, this time you will need a hands on tech to test the circuits in person.

Customer:

Yes. Flip up switches

NeilWill :

If he comes up blank for some reason then it is a house electrical circuit situation. Especially in the summer with the air conditioner running.

Customer:

So I need an electrician rather than a fridge fixer?

NeilWill :

I've seen even a switch in the break being weak and unable to see this with the naked eye.

NeilWill :

Yes first start with an electrician. The fridge works and plenty cold!

NeilWill :

If the fridge was on a dedicated power switch and only this tripped then it would most likely be the fridge. But that's not the case.

NeilWill :

How hot is it there now?

NeilWill :

Outside temperature.

Customer:

Outside temperature (in shade) 14C or 58F in old money

NeilWill :

Is it hotter when this happened? Or the same at night.

NeilWill :

Wow nice and cool

NeilWill :

Seems to me you need to start with an electrician. Best I can do from here.

NeilWill :

Cheers

Customer:

I don't think temperature is of any significance. It is an intermittent problem which we have had for a few months, starting back in the winter. Usually replace the fuse in the wall switch - sometimes 3 or 4 times in about 1/2 hour - then it behaves for a few weeks the goes bang again.

NeilWill :

Yes, now this sounds like a house circuit problem. if it were the fridge it may not have stopped to behave.

Customer:

OK Neil, thanks for your help

Customer:

NeilWill :

On the fridge you want to check the cord where it connects inside the rear of the fridge. See if a cord wire is loose or burned.

NeilWill :

got this last post?

NeilWill :

It may be loose and arching as it is moves slightly

Customer:

Yes thanks

NeilWill :

let me know what happens. You can still talk with me for about a week after you click accept

NeilWill :

Thanks Jerry.

NeilWill, Home Appliance Technician
Experience: Repaired appliances over seas in europe and Middle east .