Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

I have a Bosch Maxx 5 washing machine and it is not draining.

Customer Question

I have a Bosch Maxx 5 washing machine and it is not draining. I have taken the hose off the waste pipe end and there doesnt seem to be a blockage that end. I have tried putting the machine on a spin but nothing is happening except I think a very faint humming.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

You need to manually remove the water from the appliance.

If the drain hose comes out the bottom of the machine, lay the hose as low as possible into a bucket or wash basin.

Raise the hose when you need to open the container.

If the hose isn't from the bottom, put a dish in front of the filter cap.

Slacken the cap and drain the water.

Tighten the cap when you need to empty the dish.

(If there is a draining tube beside the cap, use this to empty the water out).

Once empty, take the cap off and clean out any debris in the pump housing.

Look in and you'll see the pump impellor.

Ensure this can turn.

Take the laundry out.

Put the machine on drain or spin only.

Look in, if the pump impellor is spinning it should be ok again.

Refit the filter.

Try the machine again.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply but I think I need to clarify. The pipe which I presume carries the waste water (both pipes at the top of the machine by the way) actually starts from behind the back panel of the washing machine so I cant remove this...I have already pulled the other end of the waste pipe (on my sink) and there doesnt seem to be any blockage here.

The other pipe which is carrying the water in has presumably nothing to do with the problem, although I have removed this and can see a small filter on this, which appears to be fine

Thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

As I posted previously, if the drain hose doesn't come out the bottom of the machine, use the filter cap, It's on the front of the machine at the bottom.

There may be a draining tube there too.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

(Our model number WAA242270GB)

Unfortunately there is a casing on the front of the washing machine which means we cannot access any part of the workings of the machine. We have just tilted the washing machine back which has allowed us to open the door and remove the water with a jug. With the clothes now out we have tried to put the machine on drain but nothing has happened the machine does not respond.

What shall we try next?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

There appears to be a problem with the E-Nr number.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WAA24270GB / 24 apologies for the wrong number before

Thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, there's no user manual available for this model (online manual).

At the bottom front, is there a removable panel?

Is there a small door that opens?

The parts manual isn't too clear on this.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi

There is no removeable panel on the front of the machine, just the casing that covers the entire front of the machine, there is also no small door that opens either. We have tilted the machine up and can see two screws right on the bottom of the machine which are holding the casing on, the screws seem to have a special/specific hexagonal shape which a normal Phillips screwdriver can't unscrew. Hope this helps clarify

Thanks

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

The screws are Torx security screws.

I'm afraid that on your machine, the front has to come off to get to the pump housing.

There is no method of draining the trapped water out first that I can see on your machine.

Unplug the appliance.

Take the dispenser out.

Take out any screws revealed.

Open the door.

Take the door seal retainer out and peel the seal off the front panel.

Take the screws out of the door lock.

Tilt the machine back and take the screws holding the front panel on out.

Take the front panel off.

Have someone hold the machine for you, tilted as far back, rearward, as possible.

Take the pump out.

Disconnect the hoses and wiring.

(Use a wash basin to catch any spilled water).

Clean out the debris in the pump and in the hoses.

Reassemble the appliance and try it again.

If the machine is under 2 years old, it should still be under warranty with Bosch (if you have proof of purchase).

However, it may be that a blocked pump isn't covered by warranty.

Check it out, see what you find.

Good luck with the repair.

Thanks