Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Hi , my whirlpool fridge freezer is warm and the freezer food

Customer Question

Hi , my whirlpool fridge freezer is warm and the freezer food is defrosting, What do I do?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Can you post the model number please.

Also is it both the fridge and the freezer which is defrosting?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Its called a Whirlpool 6th sense , yes it is both that is not working.

I have taken the all the food out of the freezer and it started to make a noise and seemed to get cold again, but now the noise has stopped again.

Regards,

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Is the back panel inside the freezer all iced up?

Also press the door switch inside the freezer at the top with the door open and dpo you hear the fan inside running?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes, its all frozen , but it is melting now...

i pressed the switch and still there is no noise of the fan running,

Regards,

Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Ok the chances are the evaporator inside the freezer has blocked up with ice.

What you can try is either take off the back panel inside the freezer and from there you will see the evapoartor. If its blocked with ice then you will need to melt the ice. Either use a hair dryer or a steamer.

Or you can do a total defrost of the appliance for 24 hours with the freezer door open.

Then once the ice has melted away then retry the machine and see how it goes from there. Fingers crossed it will be back to normal so just see how it goes from there.

If it does it again say 3 weeks later then it may be a faulty defrost heater thats the problem.

But just see how it goes from there. If you need anymore info just get back to me.

Regards

Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how do i take off the panels

and how do i take do a total defrost

thanks
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

To get the panel off you need to take the shelfs out from inside and then take off the side runners for the baskets.

Then you will see the screws on the back panel. Take them off and the the panel will come off.

As to doing a total defrost you just turn the machine off and unplug it for 24 hours but keep the freezer door open.

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
hi i have melted all the ice that was around the pipes

there is still no noise

what will i do next?
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Ok im taking it there wasnt a lot of ice there was there?

Is the fan still in place ok at the top there?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes there was not much ice

yes the fan is still in place, no ice around it
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Ok is the compressor running?

Also do you have a multimeter?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
just turned it on and off and there seems to be a noise coming from the fridge and a beeping with two red lights flashing ; one is a plug sign and the other is a warning sign

is the compressor in the freezer? then if it is its not running

whats a mulitmeter
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

The compressor is at the back but if its running then normall you hear it.

As to a multimeter this test compoments and tells you if you have power so i take it you don t have 1?

Regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the fan is now started again in the freezer, i think im sorted

thanks mate

super service
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 3 years ago.

Hi

No worries glad it started up. Just see how it goes from there.

Regards