Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

I have a Zanussi Essentials ZWD16270W Washing machine. The

Customer Question

I have a Zanussi Essentials ZWD16270W Washing machine.

The cycle doesn't get to the end but it doesn't stop at the same place every time. After a stoppage turning off the machine off then back on again, it won't work straight away. If I try to start it again straight away, you can hear, the door lock then some sound, then the door unlocks again with the start/pause button flashing green.

IF I leave it for a few hours, the cycle starts but again doesn't reach the end.

Looking at some advice I found on the net holding the pause button and the button to the left of it gives an error code of ed4. Is there a quick easy fix to this?

Thanks
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question.

Do you still require help with this?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes.. help is still required. its still broken!!
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

ED4 indicates a dryer pcb failure.

Unplug the appliance.

Take the top off.

On top of the tub is the dryer assembly.

At the rear of it is the dryer heater connections.

Mark the wiring (label it) so you know where it goes to.

Push the drum down and forward and pull the wires off of the heater connections.

Insulate the wires and tie them back into the wiring loom.

Try the machine on a wash, obviously it won't work as a dryer.

If it's now working as a washing machine, you'll need to try a new element to cure the ED4 fault.

Hope this helps

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Anything I need to know or any tips before taking off the top? I've never done it before.

Don't know if this makes any difference but I tested the dryer when the wash cycle was working and it was fine. It was spinning and the clothes were being heated.

Can I emphasize the fact that after it stops working mid-wash, it won't start up again until a long time later. I don't know if that means anything
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

You have an ED4 error code.

As I've explained this is listed as a dryer board fault.

However, I've found that in most cases it's low insulation on the dryer heater element that causes the problem.

The best thing to do, is work on the code we have.

Once that's cleared we'll soon find out if there are further problems.

As long as you unplug the machine, it's safe.

Follow the instructions I posted and put the top back on before plugging in again.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok I have done as you have suggested. Am going to test a couple wash cycles to see if it has affected anything. Will get back to you.

Regards
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Good luck with the test washes.

They should be fine, most times it's the dryer element causes the problem.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I ran 2 test washes and it seemed to work fine!! Is there any next step or does this mean I need a new dryer element?

Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

The next step is to begin replacing parts I'm afraid.

As I stated earlier, the service manual lists the code as a faulty dryer board.

Most times, I've found the fault is actually low insulation on the element.

If you have a megger you can check this, if not, you can only replace parts.

Replace the element, reconnect it and try the machine again.

If it still fails it would suggest the pcb (dryer board) may well be the cause and you have one of the few genuinely faulty dryer boards.

Good luck with it.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the reply.

For now I am happy to use the washing machine without the dryer. I will try it again the next wash or so. If it still works fine I will be happy to pay you your deserved money!

Just remind me if I genuinely forget. Will take a week or so for the next wash.

Best Wishes
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,,

No problem.

Your machine will work fine as a washing machine.

It's only when the dryer element is in circuit that the fault will reappear.

I think you'll find Just Answer send you lots of automated emails so no problems on the reminder.

Good luck with the appliance.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried it again and seemed fine. Thanks for your help
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Thanks for letting me know how it went.

Glad you got it working again.

Thank you for the payment, it is appreciated.

Thanks