Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.

My White Knight condensing tumble dryer is making a clunking

My White Knight condensing tumble dryer is making a clunking noise as it rotates. Heating element is still working fine and clothes are drying. What could it be and how much would you expect it to cost me to repair. Thanks! Lucy.
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

Can you post the model number of the appliance please?

Does it clunk if you turn the drum manually?

Does it clunk if you run the machine empty?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's a 767C, it does clunk when I rotate the drum manually and also if the machine is empty.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Look into the drum and at the rear centre.

You'll see the rivets holding the drum shaft to the drum.

Turn the drum and watch the rivets.

Do they wobble/move?

Unplug the appliance, take the top off.

Lift the rear of the drum, does the drum "jump" as you turn it.

The "jump" should coincide with the clunk.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes the rivets do appear to wobble slightly, however I can't take the top off without a screwdriver and I don't have the right one.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

Are you looking to repair this yourself or are you looking for a price for repair by an engineer?

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm looking for a guide price on repair as I really don't want to pay too much if it would just be cheaper to buy a new one! Thanks.
Expert:  Techdesk replied 3 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

If you go to www.repaircare.co.uk you can get a quote for repair that includes parts and labour.

They will either fit a new drum or a repair kit for the drum support.

It really depends on how bad the drum is.

Given that the average repairer labour/call out charge will be around £70 it doesn't need a lot of parts to push the repair to over the £120 mark.

Check the quote and you'll be better placed to decide on whether to repair or replace the appliance.

Comet also do a fixed price repair at £125.

Click here for the comet deal

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.