Daniel, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

Washing machine drum makes knocking noise in spin cycle.

Washing machine drum makes 'knocking' noise in spin cycle. It is a Zanussi Jetsystem 1200. When empty and switched off, if you rock the drum forwards and back (not round) there is a knocking noise. Can I fix this or do I need an engineer?
Thanks
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Can you post the model number please.

Also if you open the door and hold the bottom of the metal drum at the front and see if you can lift it up and down.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The model number is XXXXX

No, I can't lift the drum up and down at all.

When you pull it gently forwards and back, it makes a kind of dull slapping/knocking noise.

Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Sorry for the delay as i was off line during the new year.

Anyway as the the fault there is all ways movement in the drum if you pul it forwards and backwards so it will move a bit thats fine.

Its if the drum can be lifted up and down thats wen it can be the bearings and it shouldnt beable to do this.

So is it makeing a lound knocking noise as it spins at high speed?

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I definitely can't move the drum up and down, so that's good.

The noise it makes now when fast spinning is much louder than it was when the machine was new. It seems to have got worse over the past year.

It is OK on slow spin, but when it goes into fast spin it's a fast: rat-tat-tat-tat-tat-tat noise (though not quite as loud or sharp as a machine gun!).

It still washes fine, and I'm using it for about 3 loads per week.

Thanks

Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Ok this is either going to be faulty drum bearings or these something stuck in there.

What you can try is pull the washer out and take off the back half of the washer off and there at the bottom of the drum you will see the heater element. Take this out and then you can see inbetween the 2 drums there and see if theres anything stuck in there which is comming up when its spinning.

If theres nothing in there then its more then likely going to be faulty drum bearings or drum shaft. For this its a case of taking the drum out of the machine and splitting the drum in half and replaceing the bearings that way. But this is a big job and does take quite a bit of time.

Regards

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hi, I think we've fixed it!

We had to take the top off the washer as we couldn't access it from the back at all. Then when you rocked the drum gently we could see that there was a small grey plastic restraint bit which should have been holding the drum to the weight that appeared to have snapped.

My husband therefore put a small plastic packer to hold the drum more firmly to the weight, and I have just done 2 loads of washing with much less noise than before.

There doesn't seem to be any problem with the bearings and nothing had got stuck inside, so we didn't actually use that advice in the end. However, it was good to get an expert opinion.

best regards

Expert:  Daniel replied 6 years ago.

Hi

Glad you found the problem. Just see how it goes but if it goes again then it will need a new back half drum if the peg which holds the counter weight on has broken off.

Regards