Techdesk
Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience:  Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
13782322

Hi, I have an electric Leisure Rangemaster 110 and the thermostatic

Hi, I have an electric Leisure Rangemaster 110 and the thermostatic switch on the fan oven has failed. Previously, the switch element failed and I was able to replace it myself. This time it is the thermostat side of the switch which is connected to the temperature probe which is located inside the oven lining. The oven light is permanently on, the fan still works but the oven does not heat. I suspect the thermostat not the probe but believe the two come as one and it is attempting to replace the probe within the lining that concerns me. Any advice would be most welcome?
Category: UK Appliance
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Do you have, and can you use, a multimeter?

Can you clarify the following for me?

When you try to use the appliance, does the fan inside the oven run?

Does the temperature light on the front come on?

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes to all three questions
Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

OK, thanks for that.

For the temperature light to come on the thermostat switch has to work.

I would suggest you check the element first to see if it's open circuit.

If the element is ok, Isolate the power to the appliance and take the rear panel off.

Hook the multimeter to the element connections.

Restore the power, set the clock if necessary, and check to see if it's being powered.

If it's not, I would suggest checking the wiring at the selector switch and the switch itself.

If your thermostat has connections A, B and C, and if the thermostat light is on C, let me know.

If you are fully convinced that it's the thermostat, inside the oven look at the rear panel.

The temperature probe will be clipped to the front panel or nearby.

(You may need to take out the rear panel inside the oven to release it).

Once you release the temperature probe, feed the capillary and the probe out of the hole in the oven.

From the rear, take the probe out, you'll see as you take it out how to fit the new one.

It's not difficult and you don't need to disturb the insulation material.

Check it out, see what you find.

Hope this is of some help

Let me know how it goes or if you need more help

Thanks

Techdesk, Field Service Engineer
Experience: Whitegoods engineer working for a multibranded national company in the UK.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How do I check the element, from the switch (which terminals) or from gaining access directly onto the element from the rear? I assume I am looking for a low resistance or short circuit..

I'll not get around to checking it tonight but thanks for the advice..

Expert:  Techdesk replied 4 years ago.

Hiya,

Test it from the rear of the appliance.

Take the wires off of it and check to see if it's open circuit.

It should have a fairly low resistance.

Thanks